Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by -buggy-, May 16, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. just seen this on the news my apologies if already posted , makes you feel sick ...

BBC news
  2. It's not a real site
  3. sorry i must have buggered up the link , it was referring to the poor elderly ex soldier who was beaten to death by those b*stards.

4. thanks cpt_black thats whati meant to post :thumright:
  5. No worries.

On the story, it is absolutely disgusting. 62 years of sentence between them - less than a 'life'

I can only hope the get rubbed out on the inside
  6. Ah but after all death is a release. The true punishment should be a life sentence that means life, and prisons that have hard labour, not "holiday camp" conditions.
    Unfortunately that will never happen as it contravenes the European convention on Human rights. Don't get me wrong, I am a supporter of human rights laws when used correctly. It seems to be the UK human rights lawyers that delight in using the letter of the law to defeat the spirit of the law.
  7. This happened near me

Its sickening

Ah well. We can hope the bastards will get slotted in prison right?
  8. Interesting point, and I agree with the 'hard labour'. They should be doing work that benefits society too - are we not short of people willing to do all the horrible little jobs so that immigrants are coming over to do them? Without wishing to change the point of the thread to the immigration side, why not make the prisoners do these jobs for tuppence a week?

This might even create a few more jobs (though not a huge amount) because they will have to work in smaller groups and will need more supervisors. It will reduce prison violence - because they'll all be too nackered to fight (by the time they get used to hard work, they'll probably be free anyway!)

I'm afraid I'm too young to remember, but does anyone have any idea of whether the American system worked/works with hard labour? All I can think of at the moment is the Shawshank Redemption where they were breaking rocks and building roads or something.

9. Prisoners over here are used for labour also, they clean out drains and sewers etc. Makes for a more fitting punishment in my opinion.
  10. I didn't know that. If so, then BZ to the guvnors
  11. Looks like the Welsh have some good ideas which need extending to the prison population.

A Convicted drink-driver said she should not have had to clear up filthy nappies at a travellers' site as part of her community order.Angry Bethan Thomas said she and fellow offenders were confronted by piles of nappies, dead cats, dead mice and a dead ferret.

One black bag contained human excrement.

"It was disgusting," said Miss Thomas. "We filled 35 black bin bags with the stuff. You can imagine the mess. It was a dirty job.

"There were nappies everywhere - children's and adults'.

"We should not have been sent there."

Miss Thomas said the day's work at the Penybryn traveller site in Bynea, near Llanelli, was a shock to the system compared to the previous community order work she had carried out.

And she claimed the group's supervisor sympathised with what they had to deal with.

Miss Thomas, aged 47, said that on other occasions during the punishment they had been gardening in old folks' homes and allotments.

She said a long-standing traveller at the Penybryn site blamed the stinking mess on visiting travellers who came and went as they pleased.

Last November another site resident, Kathy Treharne, complained about violent disputes between permanent and transient families.

She said the visiting families were giving the site a bad name.

One incident at that time triggered a huge police response, with 20 cars and vans rushing to the site.

Miss Thomas, of Bryn Road, Seaside, Llanelli, completed her 40 hours of unpaid community work at nearby allotments.

Last year the mother-of-four lost her driving licence for four years and paid £100 costs for a drink-driving offence.

She had to return to court after missing an appointment with the probation service, an oversight that landed her a 40-hour community order.

A spokeswoman for Dyfed- Powys Probation Service said: "We cannot comment on any person on probation individually.

"We can confirm that we have been working in conjunction with Keep Wales Tidy in Bynea.

"We have not received any official complaints from any person working on this project to date.

"However, if any person has a complaint during their community order we would encourage them to use our official complaints procedure."

12. I must admit to a great respect for the Thai system. They are by no means perfect but perhaps that's part of their strength.

Suitably "tagged" road gangs would be very useful back here. Road mending, ditch/drain clearing, hedge trimming and laying (a lost craft) and dry stone walling (another lost craft) would all make useful pay-back from our criminals. A forlorn hope, though, with our crippling human rights and health and safety laws. Is it true that civilisations destroy themselves by becoming over civilised?

13. I am not sure where this European Human Rights things comes into our prisons. I have a friend in Spain who works in the Prison system over there. He was saying to us, when someone is sent to prison, it is up to the family to ensure that they have clean clothes, food, etc. If the family do not want to know the prisoner, then he is dressed in prison uniform (politely put) overalls, and fed the minimum to keep them nourished. Porridge, stew, bred and water.

My gripe over here, is this. Taking this case, 62 years is how much we the taxpayer is going to have to pay to keep them in good food, clothing, LCD TVs, books, DVDs, etc etc etc. That is some price tag. My personally opinion is the minimum forced Labour Camps on some outer island breaking up rocks to be transported back to the mainland for use, Road Maintenance, No amenities in prison, to a maximum of the death penalty (Yes I am a firm believer in bringing it back) although it is unlikely.

Stop building prisons. Get together all those floating floatels we had in the Falklands and around the country, and use them, stuck out in the Channel somewhere.

I apologise, for this, but I do get so peeved off looking at the punishment issued out, in relation to the crime being committed.

Regards, Chris
  14. [align=center] :toilet: [/align]
  15. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

Looking at the four year ban this isn't the first time Miss Thomas has been caught drink driving, perhaps if she had learnt the lesson the first time she wouldn't have had these problems.

Several dead cats! Shows that the Travellers are not all bad :bball:
  16. Hmm, sh1tting on the honesty-challenged
  17. I am not sure where this European Human Rights things comes into our prisons.
  18. Reminds me of an programme I heard on Radio 4. A Romany woman was being interviewed, and they were talking about some of the 'traditions' (bad habits?) of their itinerant lifestyle, including meals.

INTERVIEWER: So, for the benefit of some of our listeners, who may not have tried hedgehog, can you describe what it tastes like?

OLD PIKEY: Well, it's like a cross between chicken and cat!

19. "Sutcliffe's case was referred to Ms Chahal by another solicitor because she "takes on difficult cases".

It would be nice to see how many difficult cases these lawyers take on earning vast amounts of Public money via legal aid,

If when they failed they got nowt and had to pay the same amount of legal aid they would have got into the public purse?

At the moment it is a gravy train for said legal folk to milk. when they are unable to gain legitamate cases on their own merit

Jack McH