Disgusted Home of Dambusters up for Sale

Dambusters Squadron helped to sink the Turpids in Norway so if she had got into the Atlantic Allied Convoys would have suffer and the Royal Navy didn't have the Sea Power to deal with her

fishhead

War Hero
Dambusters Squadron helped to sink the Turpids in Norway so if she had got into the Atlantic Allied Convoys would have suffer and the Royal Navy didn't have the Sea Power to deal with her
Yes. But why is this in the Joining the RN " thread? If you want to wax nostalgic there is the History section. If it is a Current Affair there is a section for it there. If you just want to have a rant head to Diamond Lils and select the " Things that p*** me off " thread.

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
617 squadron still exists but isn't based there so wtf has a length of concrete in Lincolnshire got to do with anything?
Besides which your grasp of history and the WW2 RN is shite!

MODs, can this go in Lils or the Barge?

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
Ah, yes, but the concrete runway was also where Guy Gibson VC's politically incorrectly named dog got squidged whilst he was away busting dams.

huwshpis

War Hero
I always understood that the dog was killed on the road outside the base the day before the raid and, in tribute, his name was used in the raid as a codeword to indicate that the Moehne Dam had been breached.

Taztiff

War Hero
Oh no!!!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/London_Biggin_Hill_Airport
"However, in 1958 Biggin Hill ceased to be an operational RAF station, becoming the Officer and Aircrew Selection Centre for the RAF. "
"Meanwhile, the Officer and Aircrew Selection Centre moved to RAF Cranwell in 1992, marking the end of active RAF involvement "

No-one told me!!! Gutted!! Could have written a long and off thread monologue about how it is a national disgrace - have the government not seen the film 'Battle of Britain' at Christmas!!

Oh hang on - I wasn't born in '58 so I couldn't moan. Lets bring in a thread for retrospective moaning about long lost RAF airbases - or maybe not.

Or a new thread 'Did you know that X of the Y ships I served on have been scrapped / sold' (Insert numbers and delete to match your particular circumstances.)

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
Where I grew up was RAF Kenley, a frontline airfield of 11 Group during the BoB, it's now a housing estate..I'm truly outraged :mad:

And the Guards barracks at the same location is now a housing estate as well..double outrage :mad::mad:

Ballistic

War Hero
My house was built on the site of an old farm.
I'm sure they provided food to the troops during World War II.

It's a disgrace. I'm going to demolish my house in protest.

SaladDodger

Lantern Swinger
Ah, yes, but the concrete runway was also where Guy Gibson VC's politically incorrectly named dog got squidged whilst he was away busting dams.
I bet that dogs name is the real reason behind crabfield being sold off, same reason why a classic film never gets airtime anymore
Blazing Saddles.jpgBlazing Saddles 1.jpg

SaladDodger

Lantern Swinger

Whilst I'm on my soapbox there's another great comedy of it's time but now forever banned from t.v, thank god for youtube and box sets....

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S Disgusted!!! Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 63
MoD_RSS US exports drive home success for UK golf trolley manufacturer MoD News 0
soleil FB: HMNB Portsmouth: "HMS Ledbury Returns Home From The Gulf" The Fleet 0
MoD_RSS Home Secretary speech at the Police Superintendents' Association conference MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Online services designed for home movers MoD News 0
MoD_RSS More than half a billion pounds to help people return home from hospital MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Home Office Minister visits London charity supporting Spanish and Portuguese speakers to apply to the EU Settlement Scheme MoD News 0
MoD_RSS New help on offer for disabled people working from home during the pandemic MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Largest home antibody testing programme for COVID-19 publishes findings MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Home Secretary appoints small boat commander MoD News 0
MoD_RSS The IAGCI invites tenders to evaluate the UK Home Office Country Information Products MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Home Secretary sees first-hand the science supporting UK police MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Pride at Home MoD News 0
soleil FB: Royal Naval Benevolent Trust - Go Ahead For RNBT’s Centenary Care Home Project, Admiral Jellicoe House. Charity 2
MoD_RSS Scottish home for Poseidon fleet reaches major milestone MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Do you need to leave your home area to achieve a better life? MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Home Secretary announces details of the Hong Kong BN(O) visa MoD News 0
MoD_RSS First virtual citizenship ceremony welcomed by Home Office minister MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Home Office minister commends Scottish charity's work supporting EU Settlement Scheme MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Home Secretary signals Britain is open for business MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Inspection report published: An inspection of the Handling of Complaints and MP’s Correspondence by the Home Office Borders, Immigration and Citizensh MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Exports bring home the bacon for UK family farm MoD News 0
soleil FB: Forces News: "HMS Queen Elizabeth Sails Back Into Her Home Port Of Portsmouth As A "Fully Trained" Aircraft Carrier" The Fleet 0
MoD_RSS Regular retesting rolled out for care home staff and residents MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Swindon home furnishing company fails to meet recycling duties MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Fitness Focus at home during lockdown MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Home Secretary welcomes new chair of the MAC MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Home Secretary chairs virtual ‘Five Eyes’ security summit MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Loneliness Minister: Write letters to people isolating at home MoD News 2
MoD_RSS Adjusting the curriculum for use in school and at home MoD News 0
MoD_RSS A secondary school’s approach to adjusting the curriculum for use in school and at home MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Whole home testing rolled out to all care homes in England MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Malaysia: first of its kind home-based activities to mark World Oceans Day MoD News 0
MoD_RSS COVID-19 tests offered to every care home for elderly or those with dementia MoD News 0
MoD_RSS More than 17,000 helped to get home from across Africa MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Home Secretary oral statement on health measures at the border MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK Government to bring home more British travellers from Central and South America MoD News 0
MoD_RSS New flight from Jamaica to bring home British travellers MoD News 0
MoD_RSS More charter flights to get Britons home from West Africa MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Bus, plane… and horseback: How the Foreign Office helped a British traveller return home MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Home Secretary's opening statement to the government’s daily briefing on coronavirus MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Home Secretary announces new public health measures for all UK arrivals MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Further visa extensions for those unable to return home due to coronavirus MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Home work pays off for LLWR MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK provides new home for 478 children seeking asylum MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Home Office extends bereavement scheme to NHS support staff and social care workers MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Care home support package backed by £600 million to help reduce coronavirus infections MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Three further flights to bring hundreds of British travellers home from Bangladesh MoD News 0
MoD_RSS New guidance on moving home MoD News 1
MoD_RSS UK announces more flights to bring stranded Brits home from India MoD News 0