Discharge Experience

Was your discharge Day a good experience

  • No

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Who gave a shit

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Still waiting for the experience

    Votes: 0 0.0%

  • Total voters
    366
Some pretty bad experiences on here about how the mob treats it's people, but I'll let you all know next Jan if anything has changed!
 

Karma

War Hero
TattooDog said:
Some pretty bad experiences on here about how the mob treats it's people, but I'll let you all know next Jan if anything has changed!

The resettlement outfit is pretty good, although the advice is a bit pre-packaged based on your badges.

However the actual leaving bit hasn't improved much.

I decided against the ID card issue by sending mine back through the post.

What grips a little now is that I can say the same things that I said when I was in the service, but now that I'm wearing a suit it carries more credibility.
 
Bimbled round Drake returning stuff, DO chasing me trying to get me to sign on again and promising me hooks and and allsorts.
Handed my ID card in at the gate and told by the duty chief not to make rude signs or obscene cat calls outside(as if!).
Walked to my car,got in and drove off into the sunset.
Quite an anti climax really.
 
Topstop said:
Left from Dolphin. went to return my loan clothing etc.had the book stamped told to put the bats, wooly pullies AGRetc. in the skips by the door and the civie store man walked off . Helped my self to apair of size 10`s and left,they came in handy later.

Had arranged to get a crane opperaters cert so went in on terminal leave to Dolphin to see the man, knew him from Marchwood and Southampton docks, but the crane was U/S so had to make do with a banks mans and a fork lift cert.

Went back to see the lads the day before they went on New Year leave, took acouple of crates so theyd have something for the train. We talked for all of 10 mins before the convesation ran dry.

Had every intention of jioning SOCA have`nt. Went to a RNA meeting any one that had served was 70+ chairman was a spotty Herbert who had been in the sea cadets.

Got a letter inviting me to register for reserve service had done my 22 so thourght stuff it . got a very nice letter back informing me if I did not I register it would be £3k fine and /or 3 month holiday. so thought if I`ve got to do it I might as well get paid so went to the RNR, they only wanted ROs and medics,so sent the form back with the bare minimum filled in and a big cross in the "Do not wish to be considered for call up"

Don't know about the Reserve service form filling --when I left I was told
I was on the reserve till 55 . At my 55th birthday I got a nice letter from Centurion saying I was off the reserve list and my pension was now index linked etc etc. have a pension rise!!

:nemo: :nemo:
 

Topstop

War Hero
Greenie said:
Topstop said:
Left from Dolphin. went to return my loan clothing etc.had the book stamped told to put the bats, wooly pullies AGRetc. in the skips by the door and the civie store man walked off . Helped my self to apair of size 10`s and left,they came in handy later.

Had arranged to get a crane opperaters cert so went in on terminal leave to Dolphin to see the man, knew him from Marchwood and Southampton docks, but the crane was U/S so had to make do with a banks mans and a fork lift cert.

Went back to see the lads the day before they went on New Year leave, took acouple of crates so theyd have something for the train. We talked for all of 10 mins before the convesation ran dry.

Had every intention of jioning SOCA have`nt. Went to a RNA meeting any one that had served was 70+ chairman was a spotty Herbert who had been in the sea cadets.

Got a letter inviting me to register for reserve service had done my 22 so thourght stuff it . got a very nice letter back informing me if I did not I register it would be £3k fine and /or 3 month holiday. so thought if I`ve got to do it I might as well get paid so went to the RNR, they only wanted ROs and medics,so sent the form back with the bare minimum filled in and a big cross in the "Do not wish to be considered for call up"

Don't know about the Reserve service form filling --when I left I was told
I was on the reserve till 55 . At my 55th birthday I got a nice letter from Centurion saying I was off the reserve list and my pension was now index linked etc etc. have a pension rise!!

:nemo: :nemo:


Got a letter after 3 years saying my status was down graded? what to car park attendant?
 

security_geek

Lantern Swinger
Karma said:
TattooDog said:
Some pretty bad experiences on here about how the mob treats it's people, but I'll let you all know next Jan if anything has changed!

The resettlement outfit is pretty good, although the advice is a bit pre-packaged based on your badges.

However the actual leaving bit hasn't improved much.

I decided against the ID card issue by sending mine back through the post.

What grips a little now is that I can say the same things that I said when I was in the service, but now that I'm wearing a suit it carries more credibility.

Karma, agree with your last statement. Have to bite my tongue when a NCO or Junior officer raises a vaild point and is just talked over by someone more senior. If its affects my area of expertise though I am more than happy to point out, politley, that the senior person is in fact a chimp!

On the first point concerning resettlement advice, again agree. I was told that as a PO I would not have the 'required' abilities to go into the security accreditation and assurance business. How wrong they were!

On topic have to agree with the general feeling of Anti Climax to leaving after 23 years. I was working for my new company on terminal leave. Working from home, popped into Nelson for a pair of hours, Went home and logged onto the VPN as a confirmed Civvy. well thats that then!
Made the writer cut my card in half in front of me. Symbolic gesture really that I was on my own and working in the real world.
He did say that it was avoided normally as some people had got a bit anti when it was done by a JR. Could well be the last order I gave in the RN!
 

Harry1

Lantern Swinger
Left Cochrane in 1973, nobody even noticed .. funny how they alway wanted to know where you were when you were in the mob, but once the time expired flag went up you were ignored. It just happened that the shift that I had worked down the "Pit" with were forenoon and that was me out. Got in my car and drove out the gate. Never been back to Rosyth, Pompey or Guzz since --- until last year went back to Pompey. First time since 1968. But it wasn't there someone had nicked it and replaced it with some sanitised version. Even the Home Club was all poshed up but, at my age, that was a nice surprise.

Never regretted my time in the mob -- never regretted leaving but must admit I still miss the sense of humour and comradeship hence my frequent visits to Rumration for a nostalgia hit.
 

Jack77

War Hero
Nutty said:
Jack77 said:
I seem to be an exception but my discharge day was excellent. I was still on a boat up till the day I paid off, having done all the medicals etc when alongside the week previous. My relief had arrived two days earlier and by Friday lunchtime I had done my post out inboard, visited the inboard mess for a farewell drink and completed my handover.

I then saw the Boss and the XO and told them that my handover was complete and I was stepping ashore for a beer and would anyone like to come along. Most of the troops mustered at the bar ashore where we tended to gather. The chefs had swiped some victuals from the inboard galley and done up some smally eats and I put a few dollars over the bar in the traditional manner. The CO gave me a boats crest engraved with my name and service dates and the Senior Rates mess gave me a beer mug. I did a good job of not getting too emotional. :thanks:

My experience was fairly normal for someone who was paying off after 20 years plus, although it was not always the case.

Jack 77 was that he RN or RAN at the time of leaving. The RAN seem to have a much differnt attitude to troops leaving and then support and contact after discharge.

Nutty

RAN Nutty. We always tried to give blokes a send off.
 
Top