Disaster in Haiti and the RN

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by hamisatypeofcheese, Jan 13, 2010.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Are there any indications that the RN will be involved in the relief effort in Haiti? I searched on GoogleNews but didn't find anything.
  2. Prob will, quietly and with dignity.

The Crabs on the other hand will be shouting from the roof tops!!!!

Sorry, rant out!!!
  3. If they get the airstrip opened, I can't see any real requirement for Disaster relief ops from RN given that the quake was reasonably confined/affected Port Au Prince only and not other cities in Haiti.

UN on the spot (albeit part of the crunch not coming in with relief supplies etc), other relief supplies available from northern haiti provided lines of communication are open (refer my point about airstrip)

Of course I could be talking total bollox, in which case ...
  4. HMS Iron Duke is in the region so if UK is supplying any Disaster Relief she will most likley be the one doing it. Lads n Lasses will have had needed training for such event prior to deployment. TBF Jack does a much better job of this than your average Biggles, with Perc coming a close second. After all can't have the Crabs getting dirty hands can we.
  5. Purple_twiglet

Purple_twiglet War Hero Moderator

I believe there is nothing in the area, so don't hold your breath. I would be exceptionally surprised to see any RN commitment here.
  6. was there in 1977 on the Fearless.......was a major dump then
  7. Coincidentally, this is one of several possibly apocryphal dits I received in an e-mail today:

P.S. The Grey Funnel line took me to Port-au-Prince and Cap-Haitien in 1975. Very educational but not exactly enjoyable despite the stunning scenery.
  8. Gosh a frigate to haiti, they'll be overwhelmed..........on news tonight, flights every coupla mins in hercs from US/Brazil/Canada. A US carrier has set sail as well as a hospital ship. rescue teams from all over are on there way now.......reports of 100k-150k dead. No water, sanitation its only gonna get worse, Poor bastards.
  9. The one and only Atlantic Guardship is playing amongst the penguins just now, as is the nearest RFA. The RNs own website says so. So, no prospect whatsoever of seeing a White Ensign anywhere near nor its wearer providing much needed fresh water, electricity or the standard HRS/ISS type support.

The UK “force for good†is rather limited at the moment and destined to become more so.
  10. Sorry for gash buzz shippers, was going of RN website which had her in the Caribbean. I bow to your far superior knowledge.
  11. And what, precisely, would we do when we got there? Put 30(ish) matelots ashore for 3 or 4 days cleaning up stuff and maybe getting the odd genny or two running?! In a situation like this, we'd only get in the way, much better to let the disaster relief professionals crack-on!

*edited for fast fingers and poor england!
  12. I take it you mean these fine chaps;

13. Agree. My Prez has pledged $100mil already. Broon said anything yet?
  14. Yes, we are giving $10 million, we are a leading player in humanitarian relief and rescue operations and we never fail to offer financial and logistical support in the wake of this sort of disaster.

Of course if you believe the American news you'll think the President himself was holding up buildings with his very hands, there will be American S+R teams and American engineers and American finances, good job it happened in a country within earshot of the mainland or they wouldn't have even known it happened.
  15. So what happened to Windies Guardship? Is that another top deployment gone by the wayside? :( :( :( :(
  16. yep - now only fulfilled by a FF/DD or RFA during hurricane season; and more to the point, it covers all of the Atlantic rather than just the WIndies.
  17. HMCS Athabaskan and HMCS Halifax depart today for Haiti....for about a month...not going to be a picnic.... :cry:
  18. A particularly famous precedent was the earthquake on the Greek island of Kefalonia in 1953, as featured in 'Captain Correlli's Mandolin':

Kefalonia: The catastrophic earthquake of 1953 on Kefalonia, Greece

Return of the Webmaster

Apparently, HMS Daring circumnavigated the island and landed parties to help the most devastated communities. The locals were so traumatised that they were unable to organise any effective search and rescue operations themselves but were roped into some sort of order by the disciplined naval personnel.
  19. Have you lot sorted New Orleans out yet?
  20. I gather that a Royal Navy ship will be arriving in Haiti in the middle of next week.