Disarming Britain & Kids, Knives and Broken Lives

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by Stefan_grainger, Jun 30, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Did anybody watch this tonight?

What a society we are living in. Makes me kind of sick knowing there are people n the world like these kids. What makes me even more saddened is that people who work to help protect these people are losing their lives every day. I know it’s a common thing these days but watching them brings it all to light. What a disgrace!

Is it down to parenting or just insanity these kids are carrying samurai swords and guns? I don’t know but it sure makes me glad I’m about to join the mob with kids like them walking the streets.

God help them anyway!
  2. Why watch it when you can jump in the car and go see for real!!

That's if the car is still there of course!!
  3. In many areas and levels of our new socially engineered Society, children are no longer brought up. They now appear to just evolve. Parents have been encouraged for decades not to stifle their offsprings' free expression. They have also been badgered into using reward in preference to punishment and to reason rather than dictate. All very laudable but requires skill, sense, patience and time. I would suggest that most parents have capability gaps here and others are totally incapable of such a regime. The means of punishment have been suppressed almost to the point of none existence. That said, some parents are incapable of distinguishing between an attention focussing slap and physical assault. The teachers in schools have the same limitations; that is the ones that aren't subversive promoters of this failed experiment. I would imagine that by the time some parents realise that there is a problem (and some will even think it normal!), the child has become too strong and wilful for any further control. I've heard it said that children are rather like Germans; you live either over them or under them.

The other interesting point is the "role model" these children (OK, and yoofs) seem to have. The Gangsta Rap "dudes" and the dregs of 3rd World sub culture. Who can honestly say that parts of certain of our cities are not becoming more like Kingston Jamaica or Jo'burg? When I were a lad, we had Ted's and later Mods and Rockers carrying knives, bike chains and other means of buggering up one's day. I noticed (OK, had it suggested to me) that it fitted into the Italian and Cypriot influences we had at the time. Apart from a few, there was a general understanding that it was bad form to behave like foreigners. In today's multicultural and all inclusive Britain, it seems almost encouraged. I'm not saying that the current and growing nightmare is all the fault of foreigners; it isn't. It's just an observation that kids have a fascination with the "different" and "very naughty".

We have won the Society we have consistently voted for and been made afraid to speak out against it.
  4. Does part of the decline stem from the fact that teachers have been band from giving out corporal punishment. :threaten:
  5. In a word, I'd say yes.
  6. It's not just teachers. Remember whan a copper could clip you round the ear? Or what about when your parents sided with the law and teachers?
    POL is right. The exoeriment has failed. Give us back our rights as adults and remove the excessive rights of children. Kids have the right to education, healthcare and a roof over their heads. Anything else is plain daft.
    What no one seems to want to impress on the little darlings is that with rights comes responsibility. The Society we live in has rules. The rules are (with a few exceptions) for the greater good. Live within the rules and enjoy the full protection of society. Break the rules and you have no rights.
    End of chat.
  7. Corporal punishment was part of the problem. There were too many teachers when I was at school whom one suspected derived an unhealthy satisfaction from beating us. I was a sympathiser with STOPP and believe that hitting children only relays the message that hurting people smaller and weaker than you is the way to get your own way. My views were also considerably hardened after reading Douglas's Tales of the Trogs, where abuse of this sort was recalled by former victims.

Childrens' behaviour would be better checked by firm and consistent discipline by parents, who need to learn to take responsibility for any defects in the way they raise their offspring and the wider impact that has upon society as a whole. If a child misbehaves s/he should be sent to bed and the parents must not give in. Sadly too many parents seems to think that this sort of basic discipline is the responsibility of schools!

I share the late Admiral LeFanu's view: That there are no bad boys, only bad parents! :dwarf:
  8. Here in Spain, they still do bullfighting even the children, many people carry guns, not only the police, hunting is widespread, and by and large it is not a risk averse society. There is an eagerness to compete and win re: the Euro 2008 football results.
    You still see children playing cowboys and indians and using fireworks in the street; boys seem to be boys and girls, girls. A toy gun is not an excuse to call the armed police but to join the youngster in his game.
    There is a tremendous sporting outlet for energy, in fact in summer I doubt that the children who largely live on the streets, especially the teenagers, get more than a brace of hours sleep a night.
    There are drugs, a lot of them probably more than in the UK. Yet you rarely feel threatened and there is a distinct respect for elders. Tell a group of youngsters to keep the noise down and pretty much generally they will. At the same time many are anarchistic and have little respect for others property.
    In short I believe that young people here are less cramped and allowed to prosper mentally. They are not an alienated part of society but inclusive of it. At the a family meal or in a restaurant (you rarely see childrens menus) the youngsters are part of the event, eating with the adults with the same food - they are given an empty plate and help themselves from those of the adults.
    It is far from perfect, as any society is, but having lived here now for a very long while I prefer it. Why? because by and large here those young people in their late teens are numerate, literate and educated in basic manners. In our local shop the lad who often works behind the till can calculate accurately the change and knows the stock exactly.
    I know no people of a similar age in the Uk that I would so willingly employ or in whose company I can feel so comfortable.
    I have used a broad brush approach here and would never pretend Spain, or any country is a perfect place, for it is most certainly not. It boils down to a feeling of ease; simple as that really.
    Most countries tend to be introvert and dwell too long on the problems, discounting what is good. There is a very great deal in the UK which is very good, some of it world class.