Disabled Ex-Servicemen hit by VAT on Motorised Scooters

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by thingy, Dec 3, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. The Times (3 Dec 07, p29) have just revealled that HMG look likely to give the nod to impose VAT on the motorised scooters relied on by many disabled people, including ex-servicemen, following the EU's decision back in 2001 to classify motorised scooters as leisure vehicles. It appears that the government have done nothing to challenge this. Whilst those entitled to join the Motability scheme can expect the costs to be covered, private individuals buying them will be hardest hit.

More below:
  2. How can any sane person link mobility, leisure and disabled? :toilet:

This is the benefit of being European? My RS :tp:
  3. Another nice little earner Mr Brown?

4. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

You've obviously not seen all the scooters parked up outside my local pub then... :wink:
  5. Any ex-serviceman or woman who is in financial need and who needs an EPV can have one provided for them free of any charge or VAT by SSAFA or TRBL.
  6. I just wish that the people who drive them keep them off the roads, I have seen a car nearly take out one which was turning right at a junction, one on the main rd to skegness with granddad driving & 3 grandkids riding on it.

some clarity about what is legal is needed imho

7. Maybe they are getting further disabled and probably immobile....but that's off topic :nike:
  8. Well they hae to make up the shortfall in tax revenue after banning smoking and hammering drinking!!!!
  9. They could tax Able Bodied sex. At a pound a bonk that would raise billions a year... and that's just from Sgtpepperband! :biggrin:
  10. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Told you before - I don't do blerks! And if I really did have as much sex as you believe, do you really think I'd be sat here posting in RR?!

8O :oops:
  11. Cant see what the fuss is all about!