'Dirty Bomb' Terrorists Jail Sentance Reduced

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by ukdaytona, May 16, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Is there any wonder why the 'Justice' system in this country is seen as an outright joke when a self confessed terrorist who has admitted planning attacks against the UK and the US including the use of a 'dirty bomb' can appeal against a 40yr jail sentance and get it reduced because

(Court of Appeal judges headed by the Lord Chief Justice Lord Phillips said the 40-year term was for "the terrorist who has been convicted, after trial, of a serious attempt to commit mass murder by a viable method".

Lord Philips said that Muslim convert Barot's conspiracy did not amount to an actual attempt, and it was unclear whether his plots would have succeeded and what the consequences of them would have been

Full Story http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6661371.stm
  2. Load of bollox ain't it??..and thats all I would say on the subject! :evil:

3. Fxxxxxxxxg Joke or what , we will never win in situations like this with Lord Chief Justices living in their Ivory Towers , never see the bloody real world do they . fuming I am :twisted: :twisted:
  4. Said it before and no doubt will have to again,"It's high time we elected Judges and Police Chiefs!
  5. Just think for a moment chaps, he still has a life sentence, all that has changed is that he can now apply and I repeat apply for parole after 30 years, there is absolutely nothing to say he will be released then, he may never be released and could well die in prison.

As for electing judges and police chiefs, if we do that stand by for heaps more miscarriages of justice.
  6. He could also get royally buggered in prison and to be honest that would not bother me. What is getting my anger up is that they can reduce a sentance that was imposed after due process. Its absolute crap to say he may never get probation after all now he knows he can challenge a decision he doesnt agree with, whats to stop him keep doing it, all paid for by LEGAL AID
  7. I agree 100% with Peter/Maxi_77. And the reduced sentence is part of that due process of checks, balances and review. He can challenge either a conviction or a sentence, but it is not an ad infinitum right! The process has an end....

And please note it is not the conviction that was appealed, merely the sentence.
  8. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

There are 4 the stages to an offence:

However the offence is only committed at the 'attempt' stage, hence the conspiracy charge.

If the Prosecution had presented its case correctly then perhaps the Judge would have sentenced accordingly. It seems they didn't, hence the appeal.
  9. It was not even the sentence, that is still Life, it was only the tarrif.
  10. Pedant. :D But you are, of course, correct!
  11. So if he can appeal the sentance coz he thinks its too harsh why cant we appeal if we think its too lenient ?
  12. The CPS can.As they can prosecute again if they find new evidence if the good gentleman is aquited.
  13. Thats a joke, they cant get it right in the first place a lot of the time because their hands are tied by red tape, PC / Human Rights laws so the guilty get off.
  14. There have been a few succesful appeals by the Fiscal up here against lenient sentences, so it does work.

On your other point would you be happy for the innocent to go to jail just to be sure you mopped up all the guilty ones.

In my book, first the law must obey the law, to do otherwise makes it pointless.

Second the innocent must not be found guilty, otherwise the law is pointless.
  15. One thing about life sentences (my ex wife worked in the lifers section for a while) is that if you get out you are on licence not parole. The authorities can sling you back in prison without a trial even if you haven't done anything. So if matey does get let out on licence all he would have to do is associate with the wrong people and he will be grabbed and back in nick PDQ.

16. FlagWagger

FlagWagger Book Reviewer

It works both ways - sentences are also increased on appeal too. (and before I get accused of it, I'm not a bleeding heart liberal tree hugging wooly thinker!).
  17. Oh yes you are!
  18. I'd like to stick my dirty pick helve up his dirty bomb.