Direct Entry Petty Officer Marine Engineer Technicians - Introduction

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Ninja_Stoker, Jul 22, 2015.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

DIRECT ENTRY PETTY OFFICER TECHNICIANS

The current shortage of Senior Rate engineers has required a trial project to recruit technicians into the Petty Officer Marine Engineer Technician rate. This has been initiated, with effect from 20th July.

Applicants must commence training before their 40th birthday. Standard eligibility criteria applies.

Additional eligibility criteria for DEPOT(ME) requires:

• Formal academic engineering qualification at Level 4 (HNC or equivalent)
    • Level 2 qualification in Maths and English (GCSE grade C or higher)
    • 3 years experience of maintaining and fault diagnosis of electrical and/or mechanical systems. (propulsion systems, controls, diesel engines, water plant, power generation, refrigeration, for example)
    • Supervisory experience and line management over at least 2 engineering technicians.
    Initially, eligible applicants will sit the Recruit test and be interviewed on the same day at their local AFCO.

Successful DEPOT(ME) candidates will later be called forward in batches to conduct the one-day, final stage of their recruitment. This will include the Medical Examination, a Fitness Test, another interview to assess professional technical competence & there will be Leadership Assessment(s). (Each candidate will attend with proof of their identity and completed optician report form.)

Successful candidates will be informed and offers made during January 2016.

All DEPOT(ME) candidates will complete PRNC prior to joining HMS Raleigh.

Successful DEPOT(ME) candidates will complete standard Initial Naval Training (INT) at HMS Raleigh followed by a bespoke Phase 2 training package.

Starting pay? £33,561

Questions? Call the dedicated DEPOT(ME) number: 0345 604 6717

Drips? See a plumber.

2. DEA's again, is that a wheel I see going round ;)

• Like Like x 4
  3. Bugger, just a bit too old.

And my arse isn't hairy enough :)

• Like Like x 2
  4. No I recon that's a Yoyo, but a good opportunity for the right candidates.

• Like Like x 1
  5. I think you should let the recruiters be the judge of that..........'NINJA'! :D

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. I'm not bending down in front of a scouse stoker.

The wallet will go as well :(

In fact it wouldnt be the first time I've got my kit off in that careers office :)

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  7. Ninja_Stoker

Oooh, cheeky. :rolleyes:

8. The wallet will go before you can touch your toes the rest as they say will be history.

9. Ninja_Stoker

Me neither, but after the court order I have to conduct interviews fully clothed nowadays.

• Like Like x 3
  10. NS you or the interviewee?

11. Ninja_Stoker

Yes.

12. AAARRR being cagy about the court order?:rolleyes:

13. Ninja_Stoker

Funnily enough it reminds me of my first ever "live" selection interview after passing the Careers Adviser course twelve years back. I don't know who was more nervous, me or the young applicant wanting to join the mob.

She came to the interview wearing a coat. As she entered the interview room, to put her at ease I meant to say: "Come-in, grab a pew, take your coat off, if you wish".

What came out was: "Come-in, grab a pew, take your top off, if you wish". :eek:

Fortunately, it never went to court.

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Like Like x 2
  14. Saw an interview with Gary Lineker, about when he first became a pundit, he went to inspect the pitch pre-match, the ground was frozen, Gary says “ this is so hard they will need to wear rubbers” other pundit tells Gary to be careful what he says. He still has a job as well?

15. Ninja_Stoker

Anyway, back on track. Ish.

Very often AFCOs get enquiries from skilled tradespersons in their mid 20-30s who, to me, seem perhaps over-qualified/experienced to join as an AB but not academically qualified for Officer. Many cannot afford to take the drop in wage to join on £14.5K.

I'm wondering whether the £33.5K starting pay (bearing in mind Officers start on £25.4K) may well help fill the gap, whilst we "grow your own"?

16. We had a few Direct entries in the POs mess on Manchester.
    They all seemed to do OK.
    If they make the standard then why not let the civies train them for us?

17. Ninja_Stoker

It would certainly be a reversal - currently the RN trains them & the private sector snaps them up.

18. Bit of a win for the Navy if they get decent level headed applicants. No waiting years or training pipeline to pay for.

I do wonder how they will integrate wrt the discipline side of things. Rocking up 5 mins late sometimes cannot be brushed off with a 'sorry boss'.

19. How long will it last I wonder?

20. Seems like an Artificer in all but name......

As Wreaker says, we seem to continue to re-invent the wheel with unfailing regularity. We cut 'Tiffs because they arrived as LH's with no RN experience, now we take them as SR's. I am not complaining about the new system, just interested if the individual for reducing the Engineering Branches to 2 Chiefs and a spanner will now admit they were wrong?

• Like Like x 2