Dilemma!

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by oscar_the_grouch, Jul 13, 2010.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Wondering if I could get some advice.

Initially applied to join the Marines in late 2008, ended up with shin splints for a number of reasons, all of which are now sorted. I stopped my application in the mean time until everything was sorted.

I was advised to look at another role in the Navy by my CA what with having problems with my legs and the extra workload needed to during recruit training. I re-applied at the end of April to be a CIS(SM) I have passed everything and I am waiting for a date for Raleigh.

The problem is though, I went on a new acquaint course for submariners last week which was excellent by the way and we did a PJFT (which I beat my time by a minute) and circuit in the gym with various sprints etc and had no problems at all which has given me the confidence to step up my training which I am already currently doing. I don't know whether to go for the Marines again or continue with my current application. I have been given advice from parents, girlfriend etc but was looking for a more knowledgeable view.

Thanks

2. If I was you, I'd talk to your careers advisor and ask if he/she would be willing to send you down to a PRMC. This will allow you to have a good look at the marines and for you to try yourself out against the RM selection tests. If that went well then you could join as a RM recruit, or if it didn't then you could still stay on the CIS (SM) waiting list. But it will depend on if your CA thinks you have any chance of passing PRMC. If it's still in the back of your head (and it sounds like it is), you need to sort it out before fully committing yourself to a career in either.

Kind regards

SM

:)

3. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Fully concur with SM - get it sorted before you join or you will always wonder "What if?"

Once you join you have to effectively resign & re-apply to change trades in the vast majority of cases. A very high-risk strategy, which could entail the individual losing thousands of pounds in income whilst waiting to rejoin - assuming the individual makes the grade & there are still vacancies.

4. Thanks Ninja and SM. My initial thought was if possible transfer or leave to do one or the other but that looks a fairly high risk.

I just dont know which way to go, I have been trying to weigh up the pros and cons of both. But when it comes down to it becoming a Royal Marine has been a big dream of mine since I was a kid. Im going to have to have a long think. Failing that I could always toss a coin :)

5. My mind has been made up, I received a phone call today from my CA stating they had a entry date for me of the 5th September. Completely unexpected and very happy it has most definately made my mind up for me now.

6. fair play mate.and u only applied at the end of april this year or last?

7. This year so not bad at all, really pleased well that's an understatement I'm FUCKING ecstatic!

8. that was quick lol maybe another CIS pulled out

9. Mistercook.Just to let you know that others on this forum have been severley chastised for posting grossly offensive pictures. :D

10. :D until i am it stays :wink:

11. I don't know he said the requirement was higher all of a sudden. He did say though that a couple of weeks ago it was pretty much as it has been, but it changes almost weekly apparently it was something along those lines anyway I was too busy dancing around the office at work!!

12. Hopefully ill get a call up soon. Well done anyway best of luck. :D

13. Don't have her phone number by any chance do you?

14. and address :)
    150 Edmiston Drive
    Glasgow, Glasgow City G51 2, United Kingdom
    0871 702 1972 8)

15. I thought as much.Its your sister aint it :D

16. no my ex :x

17. Ex! Why did you let a little beauty like that get away :D

18. I keep asking myself that very question :!: :x

19. You don't spell very well, its FUCKING ecstatic :D :wink:

Masterchef this is how you get a bollocking :oops: 8O

20. It wouldn't let me spell fuck before but after qouting you I noticed how you did it, cheers.