Dilema

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Earn_It, Jan 3, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi just wondering if anyone can give me a bit of advice. I'm fairly new to the navy, passed out in June and my PVR date ran out in Nov. I've realised it's not for me as I branch changed due to an injury and it's really not for me the new branch. Is there any way I can get out without a dishonoury discharge.

many thanks

2. Yes, do your time.

3. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

Sure you ain't got end of leave blues?

4. Get a life!!
    We can't all subscribe to having everything we want,life would be very boring if it all panned out as we would wish.
    Embrace the new challenge and make the most of it.
    I am sure it will put you in good stead for any future decisions you may make.
    All the best
    MH
    Look at my quote at the end of this message says it all

5. You're most likely young enough to make the most of what life has dealt you. There's always opportunities, but if you get a right sad on and mop around they won't come to you. Get stuck in, bags of enthusiasm, and opportunities will arise. Life in the services can provide you with things you'd never get otherwise, eg AT. In a few months maybe you could take a look at some of the intel and translator opportunities available - look at the bottom of your pay statement. You'll need good reports though, hence get stuck in to your existing branch.

6. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Yep, spot -on I reckon, good call - everyone feels down at times, especially after leave.

If you are under 18 years old you may apply for discharge as "Unhappy Under 18". (formerly "Unhappy Junior"). If you leave under this method, do not expect to be allowed to rejoin for many months, if at all.

Speak to your D.O. upon your return, it's normally OK once you get back into the swing of things. One word of caution- do NOT under any circumstances "burn your bridges" as the vast majority of those who do leave through PVR, unhappy junior or otherwise subsequently regret it and try to re-join.

Good luck, you aren't alone, rest assured.

7. I think you should consider the flip side - if the RN broke their contract with you, you'd be pretty narked off I reckon. You've signed a contract that works both ways. The RN agreed to train you to the best of their ability - with courage, honour, respect etc etc. The deal is that after your probationary time, you give some of your time back to the RN, doing what you've been trained to do. Nobody chose your branch/trade. You did that. You made the decision. This is not Macdonalds or KFC, at their head sits a clown and a c*nt (a dead one at that) - The RN on the other hand is a military organisation - at its head sits the monarch. This is real life. Get over Christmas and get over yourself - if you go down the route of AWOL or arsing around to piss people off to get out, then you'll end up with no mates (assuming you've made some), no career and no hope. Take a long hard look at yourself and remember why you joined in the first place. If you fail at this, you start your next place of work as a failure.

Sort yourself out. :threaten:

8. i'd love to see the contract i signed all those years ago

i bet its nothing compared with what i have to do today

ie: fitness tests

9. Someone told me if you fail your exams you get kicked out after a tier 3 warning or something, any truth in that?

10. Lower deck lawyers. Doncha luv 'em.

Ask yourself this? What is the punishment for cheating?

That's what deliberately failing an exam is. Cheating.

'You may face disciplinary action' is the phrase that you're looking for. Don't be a dick. Grow up. Wake up. Don't be a failure AND a cheat.

11. Stop thinking negative

You haven't seen the Navy yet --you have been/are in a training situation
    and its usual for new guys to wonder about their future .
    I think when you do get on a vessel and become part of a crew thats when you realise what the RN is all about .
    You have got this far --just keep going .

:nemo: :nemo:

12. 1. I hope this guy can turn himself round if not, para 2

2. Get rid of these types as they just end up being a burden to all concerned.

Prove me wrong shipmate!!!!!!!!

13. Come on, look at his name! This has got to be a wah? If not what trade are you, you can get booted for failing.

Edited to add: I think they term it 'Not suitable for training' or some such as opposed to dishonourable disharge. That's if you fail see, not if you sleep with Bishs' daughter, which could be another option?

14. And that would look really good on your CV, as you say you haven't been in long give it a go, dig out and make some mates for life and your mood may change.
    Good luck.
    NZB

15. just out of intrest what branch were you? and what branch are you now?

16. Smug smart arse bastards. Doncha hate 'em.

How exactly would you prove someone intentionally failed the exam?

How about you don't be a dick, let him grow up, and shut your fcuking hole. You have no idea why this kid wants to leave, or why he chose to join in the first place.

Many people make the mistake of assuming they can come here and ask serious questions. Either tell them to fcuk off full stop and emulate Arrse, or stop trying to emulate Arrse and be constructive for a change. Either way I don't care just make your mind up.

Edited to remove the profanities, although I left some in.

If this kid is truthful and young then maybe the question should be asked why was he recruited in the first place given his obvious uncertainty. In this age where we are a volunteer force surely we should pick the best people for the role. I've seen a vast majority of PVR's when compared to my intake and only one so far was due to 'homesickness' (His family lived in Spain) the rest we're booted out for failing exams or were unhappy with the job they did when compared to how Pusser described it and left when it became opportune.

The attrition rate before seeing theatre is sky high, and I can see no other reason for this than the wrong people being recruited or same people having bollocks info fed to them about what they will be doing as a trade.

17. Ah, Earn-it me lad....many's the time I have counselled a young fellow such as yourself who has come to me, eyes brimming, lower lip quivering, who has found his new career overwhelming and is looking for advice on leaving the navy. I will now impart to you the very same words of wisdom I used these many years ago to other young fellows......

Harden up and dry your eyes you snivelling piece of arse-wipe! Yes the navy is tough, as it has to be, and someone obviously thought you had what it takes for you to get this far along. Give your new branch a go and if you show willing you may get the chance to change rate later down the track. However, if you are really the sort of person who will deliberately fail an exam to get a discharge then you are a total waste of space and the navy is better off without you. In that case just do a runner and stop wasting everyones time.

To have joined up in the first place I suspect you are not that type of person, so give it a go. We all had hard times but they do get better and if you bail now you will spent the rest of your life wondering if you could have made a go of it. :thumright:

18. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

Disiplined for failing exams.
    1964 Nuclear programme starting in earnest with the new build SSN's, mass drafting to Boats to try to get crewing rates up,

Enter "Jock" I'm not going to be a Submariner, they can't make me, I'll fail the exam. First exam result 0% He even spelt his name wrongly (no one said he was that bright!), result a visit to the Commander, £50 fine and 7 days No. 9's, also for free the advice that another failure would double the punishment and that this would continue at the same doubling rate until he passed the course.

Result a flying pass mark at the next attempt.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

The term currently used is "Discharged Unsuitable During Training (DUDT)" and yep, it looks smashing on your CV.

Many is the time a "would-be" employer rings an AFCO to ask about discharge categories, what they imply & whether we would re-employ.

20. I thought the Navy didn't give out references.