Discussion in 'The Fleet' started by FunkyJunky, May 30, 2013.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. anyone else think that this is really a big pile of turd.?
    never works onboard and the lads who run it are constantly pulling their hair out
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Everybody that works with it knows DII afloat is a dog. Far too big and complex to work afloat. The contactual support arrangements are diabolical. The Restricted version is a joke, the Secret version and JC2SP is even worse.
  3. Your assessment is correct. The bill for the update to the crazy future world of Explorer 8 (which is already 4 years old) would make anybody gag too.

Somebody somewhere is pissing themselves all the way to the bank, and don't get me started on MOSS.
    Last edited: May 30, 2013
  4. I dont get it. why have it on board pussers death ships?
    all we need are a few emails, the ability to bore everyone with power points and write countless TEMs

Just seems way way too much for what we need and hugely manpower intensive when (for some utterly odd reason) we dont have a dedicated IT branch. Just send a load of Comms lads on a 6 week course and bobs your uncle
  5. MLP if you think moss is bad (and by fook it is) try fooking MJDI, if i had hair i would be pulling it out in handfulls.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. why has the RN turned into one big sh1t fest?
  7. I've heard fantastic things about it. All pussers IT is horseshit, I would argue that Dii isn't fit for purpose, a civvy firm would not put up with a system that costs man hours in waiting for it to work. You need 45 minutes out of your day just to log in and check your emails, let alone get anything done.
  8. REALLY?
    I know the lads that maintain it onboard are just in a constant state of thredders and some are leaving because of it.

how can something be continually rolled out that is absolutely NOT user friendly?
  9. tiddlyoggy

tiddlyoggy War Hero Book Reviewer

Oh. So it's not just me then?
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Still trying to work out how I issue something by demanding it :s
    As for understanding the reoccurring / non-reoccurring options...

I miss oasis. Least it worked and did what we wanted it to in an uncomplicated way.

Sent from my brain to your eyes via the Internet.
  11. Just waiting for someone to try to disagree with the OP. I wont hold my breath!
  12. tiddlyoggy

Ah yes. Oasis the bliss of simplicity. Then came umms.
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Levers_Aligned

Levers_Aligned War Hero Moderator

If you think things are bad 'inside', try being on the catching end of supplying the mob with fixes for their ships, now they've switched off PLYSTAR.

The navy's comms and IT is a bag of shit.

14. Blackrat

Blackrat War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

I remember a sign in one place or other, i forget which, that stated;

"Remember. Your kit is supplied by the lowest bidder"
  15. jockpopeye

jockpopeye Badgeman Book Reviewer

Last time I logged in and checked my emails took about five minutes in and out, one of the tricks that nobody told us until recently is don't switch the pc off just log off and turn the power off on the screen, that way the machine doesn't do shit loads of updates everytime you turn it on. I have no idea if the same applies at sea, so cannot comment any further than this, but this one single bit of advice has saved all of my oppos literally hours of time trying to log into Dii machines.
  16. Guns

Guns War Hero Moderator

Working as I do for the Canadians at the moment all I can say is the grass is not greener on the other side.

In fact DII is one of the better large scale in house IT systems going for military use.
  17. Guns

Guns War Hero Moderator

It's twats like you that mean the machine can't be updated because it is not switched off at night to allow the up dates to take place.

So if the updates can be done at night (Wake up on LAN etc) guess when they get done. That's right the next time it is switched on.
    • Like Like x 2
  18. Guns

Guns War Hero Moderator

The trick to logging in to DII is not to have a ******* huge Inbox and a million files on the desktop or in your personal folder. Every time you log in it needs to be retrieved to that machine.

If you practice good IM then funny old thing a reasonable log in. Yes it is longer than normal but consider what you are asking the system to do it is not that bad.

Again, you should try logging in to DWAN.
    • Like Like x 1
  19. I think there is also the major issue of cost as well.

For a restricted account, it costs £25 per month per person to "maintain" (which I'm guessing is for server issues and to pay staff to maintain this). For a special account, it costs £35 per month.

So let's take, for example, HMS Collingwood:

As a rough guesstimate, there are around 300 people requiring regular DII access and out of them, around 50 people requiring a special account.

£7,500 per month restricted
    £1,750 per month special

Working out to about £111,000 per year.

Bear in mind that this is rough guesswork based on the rough numbers based in HMS Collingwood (being a relatively lean staffed establishment) and for places such as HMNBs Clyde, Devonport and Portsmouth, the cost will be much higher than this. Also, this doesn't take into account Army Land HQ or the RAF Air equivalents which are far higher in manpower and in need for access to DII.

Now, I understand that one system needed to be put into place to try and drive down the IT costs of the MoD and it has done so, but even with the costs being driven down and the MoD needing to fork out for the IT equipment which has been disregarded by PC World or taken from the back of a lorry, there does have to be a question mark whether the MoD is really getting value for money for what it's paying for.

What you might not be aware of is that there is also a process in place for Authorised Demanders (AD) and Local Security Officers (LSO) to maintain these accounts and in the RN, this is usually provided by civilians on around £14-20k per year. What the Army does is to have the clerks perform this role in addition to their duties (as apparently we work on a computer and will automatically understand everything anyway).
    This actually does make financial sense as it's utilising a resource that's getting paid for anyway, so it might as well be utilised doing an additional role that only requires training on the Defence Learning Portal. Both the AD and LSO courses take no more than 1 hour to complete from start to finish - if you end up doing both sides of the coin it'll take no more than 2 hours. To demonstrate my point, please feel free to search for the roles I mentioned on the DLP, it will illustrate my point quite perfectly.

So to put it into another context, you're putting all the DII role creation/maintenence into the hands of someone who received less training than it takes to be competant enough to work in McDonalds.

I wanted DII to be able to work and I do know in passing a couple of the guys who work on the DII Afloat package. They get so inundated with complaints that it does make me wonder if the forced transition is actually going to affect operational capability in the future. As to what I would suggest, I think that an extremely stripped down version of DII would work better - so by cutting out most of the crap, it would minimise the amount of compaints and reduce the amount of people putting in their notice over such a system. But then again, isn't this what was being replaced?
  20. tiddlyoggy

Good post scribe, but I have to say; I find it very hard to believe that anyone would put their notice in because of dii.