Different standards between recruitment officers?

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by creddly, Oct 26, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Ninja will be a great help in this topic but something occurred to me yesterday when I went for my RNAC brief.

Well when I had my interview, I just scraped in because I knew the ins and outs of Submarine Escape training which I had to Google around and search for myself before the interview, as well as knowing all about my trade, Raleigh, etc.

Anyway, there was this one other lad at the brief and his hair was everywhere, he had tracky bottoms on which were ripped and scragged at the bottom and he was slouching all over his chair.

He asked the guy doing the brief, are you allowed home on the weekend at Raleigh and if he passes the 1.5 mile run at RNAC, does he have to do them at Raleigh!

At this point, I was like "WTF"? So how does somebody with a complete lack of knowledge get through the interview, where I was hurled questions at me demanding intricate details, constantly and HAD to answer correctly?
  2. "Chance favours only the prepared mind" ... Louis Pasteur
  3. Perhaps they were only looking to find the limit of your knowledge, and as you kept answering the questions correctly, they had to ask more!
  4. Awesome Philosophy mate.

Oh and Lamri, I remember that this guy is going in for Logisitics, GS. I'm sure of it. Now I'm not saying it's a menial job, far from it, but I would hazard a guess that interviews for Engineering have more questions to be answered than interviews for Logistics.

LOL and yes, I kept answering the questions and I was scraping the back of my head trying to find the answers because I thought if I couldn't, that was it... "see ya"!

The only one I was stuck on, was the drugs policy, but I simply answered that common sense tells me you get them spontaneously to avoid people keeping off them before a test was coming up, and that due to the nature of the Royal Navy work and the danger people could be in, it's a "if you're caught, f**k off and don't come back" sort of punishment, although I didn't put it like that.

I also explained that I never read drugs policies because I don't even drink or smoke, let alone take drugs.
  5. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

The problem with a 45-60 minute selection interview is they can be a bit subjective, rather than objective, such as the pass/fail test.

This guy may well have been well researched & well turned-out at interview, but has now decided he's "in" and "taken his foot off the gas". He'll get a wake-up call sooner or later, rest assured. Quite often you'll find the air of overt confidence is actually an indication that the person is as nervous as hell & actually bottling it- trust me on that one.

The good thing about RNAC courses is that the individuals are viewed over a few days. Whilst not a pass/fail course (yet), you can be assured that any duffers are reported back to the AFCO & appropriate action taken, as seen fit.
  6. Yeah, I was saying to Snappy in a PM Ninja, that I want a good report from RNAC to go back to my recruiting officer for taking a chance on me.

I don't know if you guys get extra points or marks for accepting a recruit who'll go on to pass Raleigh, but I still imagine the more guys you let in and pass, the better you feel, so I just want to show him that I'm not there to piss about.

The chap doing the RNAC briefing who was a really nice gentelmen also said to go in smart civilian clothing until you're handed your uniform and just try and stand out for the right reasons and give your all with everything.

He said a report of your career and progression throughout the RN is always with your CO and if you're a waste of time, your superiors won't give you the time of day.
  7. Good answer Creddly, and spot on too!

Hope you enjoy RNAC - I haven't heard a single negative comment about it. Let us all know how you got on.
  8. Cheers Tattoo dog.

I'm really looking forward to it mate. I'm not even scared of messing up now.

I'm going running and training every day next week and then I'm just going to sit on my arse on the Saturday and Sunday to fully repair, then give everything into the run and circuit training at the RNAC.

Thanks again mate

9. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

If you are a waste of space Creds its not just your Senior people that won't give you the time of day, Boat people in particular have never had any time for wasters. Good luck on the course mate
  10. Cheers mate.
  11. You are both set to join Raleigh yet you are already miles ahead of him at this early stage. I am thinking this can only be a good thing.
  12. Thanks Sara
  13. Keep it up Credders, you know what is required, you also know that you can do it. Keep giving 100% and you will not fail.
  14. witsend

witsend War Hero Book Reviewer

ok enlighten me, whats a RNAC brief?
  15. Thanks Slim mate!

Oh and RNAC brief is a half hour brief about the Royal Navy Acquaint Course in HMS Caledonia, Rosyth, Scotland.
  16. witsend

ahhhhhh thats where the RN groom young ladies and gents for life in a blue suit.
  17. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

For the unititiated:Royal Navy Acquaint Course (RNAC).

The 4 day course is currently attended on a voluntary basis at HMS Caledonia.

It is available to all applicants wishing to join the RN. Once the duplicate RNAC centre is established in the South of UK, it is intended to make it compulsory for all new joiners, thus adding another dimension to the selection process, but theorhetically decreasing 'wastage'.

The course is currently not a pass/fail course, but if it becomes mandatory is likely to incorporate certain elements of that nature.

On a positive note , of those attending I've yet to hear anyone criticise the course as all report it to have been very beneficial & informative. Those arriving at Raleigh, having attended this course, certainly appear to have a good idea of what to expect of Phase One training, all the more pertinent because the "New Entry week" at Raleigh has been removed.
  18. witsend

Hope they get a night out at the DYC (dock yard club) ballroom or Larenzos. Had some of the best times in the RN in Rosyth. Loved the 1990 world cup in the Lion Bar on Cochraine. One half supporting England the other supporting Camaroon, with the regges in the middle. hahaha still makes me chuckle.
  19. You'll do just grand Credd man, don't worry.
    I'm joining this Sunday, i'm satisfied with my preparations :)
    As for the guy who was scruffy, presentaion is paramount, ALWAYS.
  20. Creddly, Are you sure you're choosing the right Armed Service for yourself ? It sounds you may wish to consider the Marines or Paras with all that Phys you're undertaking. However, I reckon there will be very few others putting in the same amount of effort and training. Therefore, you'll be head & shoulders above all the others. Let me know what time you achieve for the 1.5 mile run at the RNAC. Best of luck and see you in the Fleet soon knocking out some press ups & sit ups on some flight deck somewhere.