Diesel Boat Reunion 2010

Discussion in 'Submariners' started by janner, Mar 14, 2010.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

Just received the following from Ken Woods, I have removed his personal details if you are interested PM me and I will provide his email address.

This years gathering will be on 7th August 2010

You did it again! You pipped the record by just one as 232 signed in; it could have been a few more as some arrived late without signing in. It never ceases to amaze me, as the years go by we are supposed to be dropping in numbers but the fantastic effort you make to attend is just incredible. You travel from all corners of the globe, what a commitment you all make to ensure the DTS is such a success. Thank you once again for all your kind comments and feedback it does give me inspiration to carry on. I am pleased to continue but remember it’s open to anyone who would like to take it on in the future. It was an emotional year having lost a few members, nobody stands above anybody who ‘crossed over the bar’ but Topsy whose idea it was with myself and Barry Alford to start a diesel boat reunion it was a particularly sad loss for us to lose him.

Last year 436 were notified, on the day 232 checked in, 33 informed me they would be attending but unfortunately couldn’t make it, 7 of those paid for food and I received 65 apologies. That adds up to an active database for 2009 of 330, 42 have been removed from the database for no contact in 2 years leaving a total membership of 394. I’m still getting quite a few who don’t bother to answer my communication but still turn up on the day, although this is slowly being eradicated with the use of email.

YOU have decided overwhelmingly not to celebrate the 2011 Reunion and to keep it as it is, only 67 voted in favour of a Dinner Dance. I received many comments for the reasons why we should keep the 21st Reunion as it is, the main reason you gave was ‘why change such a successful event’. I did feel you might want to do something different but you let me know in no uncertain terms how decidedly wrong I was. I do plan though to book the New China Garden on the evening of the reunion in 2011 with partners; more details will be mentioned at the Reunion.

Shipmates who’ cross over the bar’ is always particularly sad but can I remind you that I am only willing to inform you of the death and subsequent funeral arrangements of members who over the years have attended our reunion in Plymouth. Please continue to inform me of the death of shipmates and I promise I will let you know personally if they are one of our own members past or present and send out the necessary email. I’m sure you can appreciate there are a few thousand shipmates and I don’t want to be burdened with informing you on all the deaths that occur. I am prepared though to include them In Memoriam as you may have served with those who have passed away.

On a brighter note! Terry Humphreys did a fantastic job again with the ‘small change bucket’, added with the money from tips over the bar we raised £750 for the staff. The staff are brilliant, over the years it’s become tradition for them to dress up for us and I know we all appreciate the immense service they give for over 8 hours of pulling pints! It’s great that the staff enjoy serving us as much as we enjoy being in the Club. They always give us such good service it’s a pleasure to hold our reunion in such a great friendly establishment. The staff asked me to say a big ‘thank you' for your tips, they were overwhelmed once again by your generosity. For all these reasons, the 20th Annual ‘DTS’ will once again be held at the W.M.O.V. Social Club, Ferndale Rd, Plymouth (Nr Camels Head Fire Station) on Saturday 7th August, starting at 1115 to 2359.

Due the large amount of credit £349.79 I have decided to make the DTS this year FREE ENTRY. I try and maintain the DTS as a non profit event and have found this is the easiest way to return your fees. A buffet lunch will be available on request at a cost of £4 per head, booked and paid for in advance. For those who require food, please forward a cheque for the sum of £4.00 made payable to K. J. Woods.

Please continue to contact me if you know of any ex-Diesel Boat Submariners who are unaware of our reunion but would like to attend, contact me with his name and address and I will ensure he receives a letter. Finally I look forward to hearing from you all again. If this is the first time you have received a newsletter, “WELCOME†to our Reunion.
    Yours aye
    Ken ‘slinger’ Woods

Programme
    Please do not arrive before 1130

1130 Start CHECK IN
    1130 Bar Open
    1400 Welcome Speech.
    1415 Buffet available.
    1900 Lounge Bar closed.
    1900 - 2359 Main Bar and Entertainment Lounge.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I..............................................................will / will not be attending the 20th Annual Reunion on Saturday 7th August 2010.

Please circle:
    I will require food and enclose a cheque to the value of £4.00
    I will not require food
    My address
    …………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………..
    Post Code…………………..
    Email…………………………………………………………………………………………………….
    Date.....................................Signature.......................................................................................................

2. janner

Bump,,,, anyone attending, be aware the the Fleet Club has closed its doors so at the moment no beds there.

3. janner

4. Best hurry up and book - only 100 years and a few days left! :oops:
    Book now at this century's prices!!

Shouldn't think there'll be too many diesel dinosaurs there then, huh?

5. janner

Corrected SB, just as well I didn't go for the proof readers job

6. Cheers to all that I met and saw. Loads of good memories came flooding back! Roll on next year!

7. janner

Lightweight! Where were you for the RR evening do?

8. Never mind the tales what about the piccies.
    Or was operating a digital camera to much for a set of pissed grey haired old sundodgers!

9. He always two doored us on the Glasgow so nothing new there lol

10. lol Us youngsters just can't keep up with you party animals! Polycell if you want to see the pis their are on my FB page.

11. janner

We don't need pics. We attended. :wink:

Last years on on the Dorset site Polly, I couldn't be arsed to take any this year as it cuts into your wandering around time. I think one of the Dorset members took a few and they will go onto the site when he sends them to me. If anyone else took any and wants them displayed send the to me via email and I'll put them on the Dorset gallery - with names if possible/

I'm still trying to get names for some of last years pics if anyone can help

12. janner

Can't find the fb page

13. witsend

witsend War Hero Book Reviewer

Just do a search for "grumpy old men". :wink:

14. witsend

witsend War Hero Book Reviewer

15. janner

Tried that but you didn't show up

16. janner

Got thanks Ob. I'll name a couple of them for you

17. janner

There are now some pics up on the Dorset site of the DTS

Usual plea for names (via email or PM) and any other pics.

18. Didn't regonise anyone!