Diego Garcia

Hey guys, i was just wondering does the Royal Navy go to our Indian Ocean territory Diego Garcia?? I know theres an american base on the island, and i was just curious to know if any of our warships docked there? Thanks

DG used to have a RN Medical Branch staff there.My Oppo Tom Snead got a draft there,he had to do a Vets course as well,apparently to treat the donkies there LOL!

Seadog

War Hero
DG is a shore draft for some matelots, don't think any ships go there though mate.
HM ships, submarines and auxiliaries do visit but they aren't in that neck of the ocean often. I know of three that have visited in the last 20 years.

Naval Party 1002. Circa 40 Matelots, Jennys and Booties. Old man is a Commander who is the FCO Commissioner's Representative for the territories. XO is a Bootie Captain. Most of the Naval party work for the Foreign Office running the admin, police, customs and immigration. Different uniform (except the Officers and when Royal is doing warry stuff), letters of appointment.

Andy, your oppo's vets course was more likely to keep the feral moggy population down. Exterminate.

The link is to a site run by an American once posted there. Gives a flavour.

TedMorris

grefs

Lantern Swinger
andym said:
DG used to have a RN Medical Branch staff there.My Oppo Tom Snead got a draft there,he had to do a Vets course as well,apparently to treat the donkies there LOL!
What, not the two legged species hopefully!!!!!! :lol:

Graybags

Lantern Swinger
My mate Jim Jolly was drafted there and he had to wear his RN uniform for part of the time, and was issued another uniform B>I>O>T( British Indian Ocean Territory) for the rest of the time.

Nigaramus

Lantern Swinger
I went there on Orpheus about 1970 when the yank Sea Bees were building their base and runways. I was also there in 1991 on a boat using it as our base for the Gulf War. - Good run ashore!!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
P Current Affairs 68