Diego Garcia

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Thriller, Jan 6, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hey guys, i was just wondering does the Royal Navy go to our Indian Ocean territory Diego Garcia?? I know theres an american base on the island, and i was just curious to know if any of our warships docked there? Thanks

2. DG is a shore draft for some matelots, don't think any ships go there though mate.

3. Mermaid re-fueled there in 74 if thats any help :wink:

4. I've been there on a pusser's ship, back in 97.

5. I just went on the RNs main website and searched diego garcia and on one of the links i clicked on it was about HMS Superb's deployment in 2006 and it said that she stop at the island to take on supplies. Here's the website http://www.royal-navy.mod.uk/server/show/ConWebDoc.6985/changeNav/3533 So it looks like we still use the islands, thanks for your help anyway guys! :D

6. DG used to have a RN Medical Branch staff there.My Oppo Tom Snead got a draft there,he had to do a Vets course as well,apparently to treat the donkies there LOL!

7. I thought the locals had eaten all the donkeys :D

8. Are they the Yanks? :D

9. Seadog

Seadog War Hero Moderator

HM ships, submarines and auxiliaries do visit but they aren't in that neck of the ocean often. I know of three that have visited in the last 20 years.

Naval Party 1002. Circa 40 Matelots, Jennys and Booties. Old man is a Commander who is the FCO Commissioner's Representative for the territories. XO is a Bootie Captain. Most of the Naval party work for the Foreign Office running the admin, police, customs and immigration. Different uniform (except the Officers and when Royal is doing warry stuff), letters of appointment.

Andy, your oppo's vets course was more likely to keep the feral moggy population down. Exterminate.

The link is to a site run by an American once posted there. Gives a flavour.

TedMorris

10. No it was definatly donkies!

11. What, not the two legged species hopefully!!!!!! :lol:

12. My mate Jim Jolly was drafted there and he had to wear his RN uniform for part of the time, and was issued another uniform B>I>O>T( British Indian Ocean Territory) for the rest of the time.

13. I went there on Orpheus about 1970 when the yank Sea Bees were building their base and runways. I was also there in 1991 on a boat using it as our base for the Gulf War. - Good run ashore!!