Did you know Lt Cdr David Barry Knowles, 1967?

slim

War Hero
I know who you meant, he hasn't crossed the line IMHO but is certainly pushing against it, I'm keeping a close eye on him.
Wrecker The man is complete tosser however I don't think he is Norman.
He shoots his mouth off about things which he obviously knows nowt about.
There are a few of us on here who served on carriers in the 60s. Yes we lost a lot of pilots and observers. That was part of the job and well known by those who flew the aircraft.

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
Wrecker The man is complete tosser however I don't think he is Norman.
He shoots his mouth off about things which he obviously knows nowt about.
There are a few of us on here who served on carriers in the 60s. Yes we lost a lot of pilots and observers. That was part of the job and well known by those who flew the aircraft.
He is a tool of the highest order and it is Norman.

Chris P

War Hero
Perhaps I know a little more of it that I will acquaint you of.
That the aircraft you were servicing were singularly useless- with that i will agree.
But of the maintainers?
From the little I saw ,they appeared to be equipped with screw drivers with a broad blades for opening aircraft inspection panels. To do what? They called their screw drivers GS 's
Call the CAA?
If you do know more of that, suggest you speak up and back up your statement, my geuss is you would've shat yourself put on a fixed wing deck..

Coming back to the original question, we had a Lt. Knowles at Yeovilton in 1963. He was a dual trained pilot and air engineer and was involved with the early formation of the historic naval aircraft collection. He was reputed to have relatives in Salisbury. Any possibility?

In that case, I can report that on one occasion, I was one of a number of Heron Flight maintainers who were involved in hand starting a Swordfish and preparing it for him to fly at an air display later in the day. It took us a longer than usual time to gain ignition. He showed us his appreciation by inviting us to invite him into our bar where he bought us all a beer. A very supportive and pleasant natured officer at all times.

Latest Threads