Did anyone see The Trap... (Sun 18.3.07) BBC2 at 2100?

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by Always_a_Civvy, Mar 19, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Did anyone see The Trap: What Happened To Our Dreams of Freedom on Sunday evening at 2100 on BBC2? It was about how Blair took forward John Major's idea of the supremacy of the market into areas previously thought unsuitable and how it has perversely blocked the ability of people to improve their lives. Essentially the programme looked at how game theory, first used in defence behavour modelling had come to dominate economic, social and even scientific thinking from the 1970s to today and how this was now beginning to unravel as facts (what many of us might call common sense) showed that humans do not behave as genetically programmed automatons.

At the end of the programme, they looked at the latest behavoural research by economists to test their game theory model of human behaviour maximising effort for self gain (what economists call rational behaviour) and the resulting data showed that only two groups of people actually think and behave rationally......... economists and... wait for it....

...psychopaths! :shock: :grin: :lol: :lol: :lol:
  2. Steve you know I am very fond of you, but sometimes I have absolutely no idea what you are talking about!

I did however watch 2 episodes of Grey's Anatomy on Sunday whilst eating an illicit Easter Egg.
  3. Illicitly devouring nutty... nutty and more nutty! You're almost as bad as Ken!

Rosie, here's what the BBC press release had to say about the first programme in the series (the one last night was the second in the series).

More here...

4. That probably explains some of the US mentality and their seemingly overwhelming urge to stick the epithet 'Freedom' onto everything from burgers to SUVs. Can you recall a Bush speech that hasn't involved the use of the word at least once?
  5. It was very interesting, how we are now almost a slave to targets, as opposed to the orders of those above.

Seemingly we don't like being free!
  6. Welcome to an organisation that thrives on targets! - you'll find out!
  7. Skimmers aren't going to be too keen on that statement! :twisted: