Dickens Class Minesweeper

Salty-Dog

War Hero
Some good photos here:

Or if you want to buy one (pictures give an idea of what they look like inside)

Some good photos here:

Or if you want to buy one (pictures give an idea of what they look like inside)
That's great thanks. I have a few photos of my own from dives I've done there. It's the first thing I saw underwater that made me think 'wow'. The dimensions from the boat for sale are useful thanks.

Woodley54

I've a few pictures of Podsnap when she was ..above water in the 1990s. My dad bought her as a retirement project back in I think 1988 from someone who lived aboad her for many years (I think mud berthed on the River Ribble or nearby in Lancashire) for ...£20,000.
Sadly when the survey was carried out (always good to do a survey after you buy a boat!) it was found that the cold moulded hull was beyond repair, and everything almost up to the waterline would need replacing, not cheap to do with that construction technique.
Best wishes
David

Hi David, thanks for that, and I'm sad to hear your dad's project ran into difficulties. The owner
of Capernwary mentioned that he purchased the vessel from Glassen Dock, perhaps from your dad?

I'm sure it's of small consolation, but many divers get a lot of enjoyment out of Podsnap
as an attraction at the dive centre.

If you'd be willing to share a couple of photos that would be great. I'm basically trying to figure out what role it served in the war. Capernwray have it listed as a minesweeper but it looks as though it was simply a launch. I don't want to correct them, it's just personal interest.

Many thanks

Duncan

Woodley54

Hi Duncan,

I'm glad she's getting a 2nd lease of life albeit on the bottom!
She was never a minesweeper, the Dickens class were simply tenders to navy ships. Dad's fascination with them was seeing them supporting warships on the Clyde when he was a youngster.
It's entirely possible it was dad who sold Podsnap to the dive centre, sadly he passed away a few months ago do I can't ask him more about her. I do remember him saying that it was her construction that meant restoration was prohibitively expensive - her cold moulded hull were incredibly strong and relatively light, but between the cross planked layers of the hull the surveyor found a layer of canvas(?) or suchlike. This acted as a 'wick' and caused the hull to rot.
My mum's digging out the photos of her, will send them across when I can.
Best wishes,
David

That's brilliant, thanks David. And it's good to know your dad's reason for purchasing Podsnap.

The boat is covered in diagonal planking everywhere including the deck - I personally haven't seen this before. I also believe Paul McCartney owns one!

Duncan