Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Diamond Jubilee: Armed Forces Tribute

Catch this today starting at 1030 on BBC1.

How some things have changed...
BBC News 18 May 2012 said:
...A tribute by the armed forces to the monarch during a Jubilee year is an established tradition, with similar events held for Queen Victoria and King George V in which the Royal Navy took centre stage as the largest service. The Queen reviewed each service at separate locations for her Silver Jubilee in 1977 and attended a tri-service event at Whale Island in Portsmouth for her Golden Jubilee in 2002.

The parade and muster in Windsor will be the first time all three services have visited the Queen for a dedicated event. The event will start at 11:00 BST with a flypast of RAF Typhoons over Windsor Castle. More than 2,500 personnel will then parade through the castle Quadrangle, heading down through the town before entering Home Park and mustering in a specially-built arena...

...while others never do:

:)
BBC News 18 May 2012 said:
..."We whip them into shape because sailors don't march, they go to sea. It's not alien to them, but they need a bit more practice than most to get it up to scratch," the navy's parade tutor, Chief Petty Officer David Artyshore, says...

Arty Shore was a PO(M) on the Glasgow back 97 when I was on there

Every turn of the shaft is a new adventure. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Only managed to watch it late last night (busy weekend), but was most impressed with the turnout, and the marching. I thought that the guys and gals of the Naval contingent did us proud. It's not an easy thing to keep time when marching on sand!

Was relaying to Mrs Mango my thoughts on the subject when she came up with, " I thought that the RAF were the best at marching."
Needless to say, she is now on the naughty step till Monday!

2BM

Only managed to watch it late last night (busy weekend), but was most impressed with the turnout, and the marching. I thought that the guys and gals of the Naval contingent did us proud. It's not an easy thing to keep time when marching on sand!

Was relaying to Mrs Mango my thoughts on the subject when she came up with, " I thought that the RAF were the best at marching."
Needless to say, she is now on the naughty step till Monday!

2BM
Only Monday!!!!!!! You're getting soft in your old age.

Watched the bulletins on Sky and the stupid presenter, on no fewer than 3 repeats of the feature, referred to the military contingents as the Royal Army, Navy and Air Force!!!! For fcuks sake "Royal Army"!!!! Surely somebody senior at Sky listens to these idiots "reading out loud" (what sort of job is that for a grown up?) and could have told her to stop being a prat but no, on she drones getting it wrong every single bloody time it makes my blood boil aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrgghhhhh!

Thoroughly agree Broadside, and it's not limited to Sky. For about three weeks before the broadcast, Radio 4 was churning out a trailer for a programme called "The Reunion", bringing together former members of the company of HMS Sheffield, which, according to the blurb, was the first battleship to be sunk in action since the second world war. Made me cringe and shout rude words at the radio every time I heard it. The programme itself was very poignant, and good to listen to, but even then they managed to refer to the RFAs "HMS Sir Galahad" and "HMS Sir Tristram". They used to have a reputation for truth and accuracy at the BBC, but I think that their current Naval Advisor must have served his time in the Swiss navy.

2BM

Latest Threads