Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by chippy, Nov 19, 2011.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi,
    Has anyone heard of anyone being kept in with type 1 diabetes, insulin dependant?
  2. Guns

Guns War Hero Moderator

No. I have type 2 but remain deplorable (like now in fact). For those with type 2 it is considered on a case by case basis and is mostly about how you manage it.
  3. Guns

Guns War Hero Moderator

Sorry forgot to add that Type 1 or Type 2 with insulin is normal a bear to service due to the nature of the illness and then complexity of medicating and the possibility of insulin shocks.
  4. They haves bears in the RN now!?
    • Like Like x 1
  5. They have had for years! My first Cox'n was 'The Bear' and indeed still can be found lurking around the Submarine Museum.
  6. Guns

Guns War Hero Moderator

Right, seems my iPad hates me and is trying to make me look stupid. Not that it needs to do much.
  7. Cheers Guys, Have been type 2 for ages but got worse. Just hoped for a small chance i could stay. But after 24 years and a Chief Stoker I suppose they will think its 1 less to make redundant. Oh well their loss.
  8. Sorry Chippy. i just read your post. In answer to your question YES. I was diagnosed as a type 2 (also known as maturity onset)(yes i am an old twat!!) insulin dependant diabetic. I remained in service (after MBOS) and also was given 2OE (5) the only down side was I was made P3P (in old money), but still managed a draft to the falklands and Iraq. Its not so much the MBOS which makes you redundant, but the employability board. Mind you this was back in 2000, so things may have changed a bit since then, but good luck to you whatever happens.

Edited to say Angrydoc may be able to shed more light on your situation
  9. Was going to say the same as xchiefcook. From a medical point of view, you would not be P2 MFD, but you could be MLD (limited deployability) with several caveats - P3P in old (and easier to understand) money. NSMBOS would make this call, but the real decision is by NSMEB - the employability board. They look at things in much more black and white and seem quite fast to discharge at the mo. They look at things like your reports, how much the RN has invested in you and make a decision based on that. As a Chief Stoker it depends if you could be employed in a non-seagoing role.

Coming off the official line, there is often little apparent logic to their decisions and I have been surprised and disappointed at some recent NSMEBs.
  10. I hope that they keep good written records of their decisions and the reasons for arriving at them. Jacqui Cartner could probably recommend a good lawyer.
  11. Well i was told today MBOS April and out by July / August. The Doc said no chance of staying in. So set mind on resettlement now.
  12. Chippy, when appearing before the panel at MBOS, you will (should) have the chance to put forward your case for remaining in service (should you wish to). i.e. it doesnt affect your work on a day to day basis (as long as your blood sugar levels are ok). tell them about all the experience you have, etc etc. also let them know that being employed in an instructional billet (teaching at Sultan for example) you have a wealth of knowledge and experience to pass on to trainees.
    When i was MBOS'd one of the panel wanted to discharge me, but fortunatley the panel chairman was a surgeon CDRE who was also Diabetic, said that if the navy continued to employ him it was good enough to continue to employ a chief. TOP BLOKE he was.

Just because your Doc says theres no chance of staying in - it isnt set in stone.

Good luck mate... let us know how you get on
  13. WOW! Are you a doctor?:sleepy2: SPAMalert.
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 3, 2012
  14. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

If I say.....

Fcuk me big boy Diabetes..big boy diabetes sugar cock...slack diabietes saddlebag lollypop mars bar licker.

What's the computer diagnosis from the spam machine?
  15. Must keepa lookout for diabetes. Diabetes not good too much sugar make diabetes. Say no thankyou to diabetes.

sent from my mobile device using crappa talk and sausage fingers
  16. Guns

Guns War Hero Moderator

Just to update from my particular case. I am Type 2 diabetic and found out today that I will be allowed to stay in the Navy by the Employability Board.

So my advice to all those coming up to their 30th birthday it is worth looking into diabetes and how to avoid it (loose weight - get fit is a start). I found out on my 40th B'Day check up/pre deployment medical. Lots of worry as I went for a Medical Board and the Employment Board. However my restrictions are very slight and I have a good grip on my management of the illness.

So do you have it?

• passing urine more often than usual, especially at night
    • increased thirst
    • extreme tiredness
    • unexplained weight loss
    • genital itching or regular episodes of thrush
    • slow healing of cuts and wounds
    • blurred vision

If you match the above and especially if over weight I would recommend a trip to the sickbay for a chat and see if you are. The sooner you get diagnosed the sooner you can start to control it. Plus you may just be able to prevent diabetes with some lifestyle changes.

If anyone is about to or going through the NMBOS process for diabetes and want to chat PM me.

What I would say is no matter what the problem if you are going down the NMBOS process get up close with your Med Centre and start your resettlement now. I was lucky and was at HMS EXCELLENT with an very good CPO(MA) to get me through the process. You need to take charge of it and drive the form filling out - especially the Divisional forms. Put pressure on your divisional team to ensure you have the best chance of the out come you want. And the resettlement, as I said, start now. If you are to leave the Navy you have little time to get it sorted. It has frightened my how unprepared I am for going outside. I am doing something about it.
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Guns, That sounds like good news; you must be very relieved.

I'm pleased for you.
  18. Guns

Guns War Hero Moderator

Thank you, tried to send a PM but seems your Inbox is full.