Devil Worship

Discussion in 'The Quarterdeck' started by jesse, Jul 8, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. :twisted: Not sure if this should be on the history forum but here goes. I recall some time ago reading about a rating who decided to worship the Devil and slapped in about it. The upshot was that he was granted the use of a grot as a place of worship.Anyone knew him? Was this in the days before notice and was he after his ticket? Can you still get out by standing as an M.P.?

2. I remember hearing about this too, wasn't he on a 22?

3. What a tube.

4. No, he was a satanist. As I recall he was an adherent of the Le Vey school which is essentially nihilistic and libertine, denying the existence of a creator god, so essentially an atheistic philosophy.

His request was related to the service recognising it as a philosophy. In some ways I disagree with the outcome as Le Vey essentially advocates it as an atheistic philosophy so it can't be considered as a religion.

I'd also have concerns about him as a team player and trust, since the core principles that LeVey espouses see the individual as pre-eminent.

Don't believe everything you read in the tabloids...

5. Pretty certain that's still the case jesse.

6. I'm not sure that you can actually get out by standing as an MP, rather than you are not permitted to be an MP whilst serving. So if you wanted to be an MP I would expect that you would need to submit your notice in the same manner that anyone else wanting to leave the navy would have to do, then stand for election.

7. Of course - poorly answered by me.

I've only known it happen once, a Doc (two and a half I think) in Whitehall early 90s. Went out to stand as a Tory. Odd really as he always seemed a decent bloke :)

8. tiddlyoggy

tiddlyoggy War Hero Book Reviewer

I joined the fighting snorker not too long after this. He was given 3N lobby as a place to "worship", apparently and by all accounts was a complete tool and attention whore.

9. Which largely fits with LV Satanism :)

10. Good on the bloke. Stuck it to the fukcing mannnn!

11. Does anyone know WTF happened to this sun fried twat? I'm all for freedom of speech but FFS why was he given the use of 3N lobby(where the hell is that? I've been out of the RN for 30 years). I would have thought the F'r'd paint store would have sufficed.

12. tiddlyoggy

It's below 2N, above 4N, forward of 3P and aft of 3M. (Sorry, couldn't resist :wink: ). On a T22 it's the lobby outside the aft 2 chilled water plant rooms and the aft gyro room.

13. No you cannot stand for MP. In 1963 an Electrical rating, who wanted his ticket stood for a vacant seat either in the North of England or Scotland. He asked for the time off to go out and canvas in the area he was to stand in.
    He was not granted permission so he took the time off. He was later arrested and returned to his ship. It made all the national papers at the time. To cut the story short, the law was changed within days, saying that no member of the armed forces could stand unless they were about to leave the service.
    He got a quick draft to HMS Centaur and was never heard of again by the press, he was seen around the ship but never mentioned politics.
    If any of you were on Centaur at the time you may remember the incident.

14. People who worship Satanism, in general are loners, recluses etc. My main concern would be 'power of suggestion' that his religious acts could have on his shippers.

What about those who are Druids/Pagan/Wiccan, will they be allowed to practice onboard now? Or those who follow a mediumistic life.....

I have no issues with one's believe, I do have big concerns when it could have a possible effect on others.

15. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

Does your coven not count JD :twisted: :evil:

16. tiddlyoggy

As demonstrated by this case Jenny, we are free to practice worship to whatever we choose (though I think it has to be a "recognised" sect, ie one couldn't worship a pair of flip-flops for example). The MOD is also committed to allow us to carry out that worship, like providing an area to do so, 3N lobby in this case.

17. Leave Jenny's coven out of this. having read about this devil worship being 180 degrees out of phase with the goody goodies I think I may be a partial convert. :p
    As such I am looking forward to Jenny's coven for a bit of devilment and debauchery :oops:

18. Whilst down there they can ask the duty WE for the key to the gyro compass room. Knowing which way is North etc may be able to help them in their ... err .... umm ... pursuit.

Nice to know that we have a caring, sharing MOD.

19. And you base this on what exactly? Most LV satanists are hedonists, and anything but reclusive.

Much the same as the god botherers and misc others might be...

According to the regulations, yes.

And what might those be?