destruction of Engine Room Register ?

Hi Chaps,

Just reading a book about the breaking up of a WW2 destroyer which states re the Engine Room Register that "it was required by naval regulations that such registers be destroyed by burning when the vessel starts a new commission".

Also curious about what the contents of the register would be.

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
The engine room register wasn't required by regulations to be destroyed so far as I'm aware.

Here's a copy of the boiler room register from HMS Argonaut during our trip down south - a few unusual entries, but you get the gist of what is usually entered. The engine room log would have engine orders & propulsion machinery states FB_IMG_1511529812996.jpg FB_IMG_1511529806377.jpg FB_IMG_1511529795278.jpg FB_IMG_1511529790504.jpg

Thanks for that Ninja....informative for us of the ' Black hand gang'. Had I signed on in '74' for 22 I may well have ended up down south myself, perhaps for good! There but for the grace etc.....

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
Thinking about it, I guess during wartime it's possible engine room logs would be destroyed as it would record the location of the ship, who it was in company with, what mechanical damage was incurred, speeds achieved, fuel consumed, and what it was doing at the time.

Maybe they were routinely destroyed as the content could be considered classified when operationally deployed.

Thinking about it, I guess during wartime it's possible engine room logs would be destroyed as it would record the location of the ship, who it was in company with, what mechanical damage was incurred, speeds achieved, fuel consumed, and what it was doing at the time.

Maybe they were routinely destroyed as the content could be considered classified when operationally deployed.
do you mean like submarine logs from places that seem to have vanished?