Destroyer Rig

Branch-Hopper

Lantern Swinger
As the main season for RN dinners hits us I need the combined knowledge of RR to answer a question or two....

a) No1 dress with bow tie - is this correctly called Destroyer Rig, or has a collegue of mine made this up?

b) If its is true what, please, is the source of this expression, and why?

:?:

Branch-Hopper said:
As the main season for RN dinners hits us I need the combined knowledge of RR to answer a question or two....

a) No1 dress with bow tie - is this correctly called Destroyer Rig, or has a collegue of mine made this up?

b) If its is true what, please, is the source of this expression, and why?

:?:
a) Yes, it is.

:)

Blackrat

War Hero
Book Reviewer
Branch-Hopper said:
Anyone like to have a go at question b?
It's because at the end of a mess dinner where copious amounts of wine and port are consumed at table, when you eventually get up to mingle, you're so hammered that you partake of games that wreck the mess and end up pissing in the CO's desk, which destroys your career.

Seadog

War Hero
Most likely due to limited kit stowage space and the less formal messing arrangements
More likely tight arrses who won't buy mess kit. Although you are not supposed to hang your medals from your reefer while in 'Destroyer Rig' many a cock does so and it looks stupid. Red sea rig for mess members only dinners at sea is fine if stowage is limited.

White waistcoats look shite.