Desperate times in the US Forces... will we be next?

Discussion in 'Diamond Lil's' started by Always_a_Civvy, Aug 8, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. '...A recent investigation by CBS News found that the U.S. Army is so desperate for new people to fill the ranks and staff the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan that it recently issued 8,000 criminal waivers to potential recruits. At least 100 of those were waivers for convicted felons whose records included everything from burglary to drug charges.'

Newsday: 7 August 2007 - by Rep. Gary Ackerman

Perhaps they'll start seeking volunteers from Guantamino! :roll:

Mind you, the RN used to take on ex-Borstal boys......... Our cousins across The Pond are catching up with us at last! :lol: Scary stuff!
  2. No sitting on the fence.

If you have been there then you are entitled to your point of view.

If not shut the f&ck up

Lots of love

3. The hamericans have form for this kind of thing, it is well known in the oil business that they recruit from outside prisons for workers to live on the shitty oil rigs out there.
    I went to fit a GPS on one recently and it looked like the prison yard from a dozen movies I could mention.
  4. Been where????????????????????????????????????

Lots of Love

5. Hmm.. well at least the crims will already know how to shoot at innocent people, just like the rest of the US Army
  6. At least two of my intake into the mob in 1951 were only there because they had been given the option by their local magistrates. One was for burglary , but I can't remember the other one's crime. However I saw him 13 years later on his discharge day and he didn't appear to have suffered too much from his choice.
  7. Prison??????
  8. This is an RN and ex RN site not an ex cons site. Most of the RN are of good character, can that be said of ex cons?
    Thieves are despised by members of the RN especially those who steal from their mess mates.
    Does the RN really want ex cons serving?
  9. Sorry People.

Made my post last night after more than a couple of tins of fosters.

To put the record straight I have never been to prison, am not an Ex con, and I am considered to be of VG character.

Drinking and posting wrecks lives!!!!

Once again my sincere apologies.
  10. Slim has a good point. If anyone wants to know how much of a mistake it can be to let criminals into the Armed Forces, then just read the book " Soldier of the Queen" written by an Irishman who served some time here in Germany early 80s. He merely carried on where he left off as a civvy. His list of offences is longer than my arm-- no exageration.

Still can't complain too much, people like him keep me in a job! :thumright:
  11. Lingyai, in the late 70's early 80's there were quite a few "Chino" divers working in the North Sea. These guys did their diving courses before being released from jail in the states. All the ones I had the privilage of working with were stand up guys and certainly wouldn't hesitate to come and save you when you got into shit.

People change, and with a bit of direction and discipline, maybe for the better.
  12. all the way up to the 80's people have been offered the choice of jail or service in the US - 8/10th of these people had their lives reordered and improved for the better.
  13. Chino divers were just about the dumbest people I ever met and were eventually banned from most work-sites in the North Sea and the Middle-East because of their drug activities. Two died in Saudi Arabia working for a firm called Al Gosaibi. Injecting heroin and professional-diving are two mutually exclusive activities; especially in Saudi.

Should have read Ling's comments before I posted.....................I try never to work any US equipment in the Gulf of Mexico after arriving at the quayside on one job to see a van full of chained parolees being taken onboard a US vessel as the "catering-crew". It's no wonder that most of the really high tech jobs are being carried out by European vessels with European crews.

14. You got that right, our ship for example has a Belgian / Filipino marine crew and most of the technical types are Brits or Canadians.
    When I went up on that platform (independence hub) there was a guy with nazi tattoos chasing a black around the galley with a brrom, I was told the game was called broom the coon.
    This is true!
  15. the one's I met and worked with in the early 80's were ok guys, can't recall any heroin users on the barges working the North Sea then. Know a few brits that have lost their tickets through class A use though!

Al Gosaibi have killed a few over the years I belive, never felt the need to work for them, pipeline swims on scuba at 180-190 feet not my thing.
  16. No sense of adventure Davie............240 fsw on air scuba is where it gets really interesting :thumright:

17. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Hmm, I can see the benefits of this scheme; I mean, it worked in WWII for 'The Dirty Dozen' :lol:
  18. I reckon in the 60s that many young offenders turned their lived around by taking the option of joining the services instead of a prison spell. However life in the services was a lot different then, discipline was enforced differently and if you had a thief in the mess most reg staff noticed that he had fallen don the ladder and hurt himself.
    I don't think it would work in today's PC forces.
  19. I am sure that even today if it applied to people on their first offence, but today so many of those who are old enough to join are actually well settled into their life of crime by that stage. Whilst discipline may not be what it was in our youth Slim I suspect today's version is as much of a shock to the system as it was for us and would help some to make something of themselves. Equally I suspect that even for the more commited young scrote that a 6 month period in a properly structured 'boot camp' style institute would pull many back from the edge of being a total loss.
  20. Maxi
    In all honesty if I were a youngster joining Her Majesties forces today I am pretty certain that I would not want to serve with the majority of the juvenile delinquents of today.
    However I am in favour of six month boot camps (at an early age) which almost certainly sort many of them out once and for all.
    I did an HNC in 1992 and on my course was a guy of about 35. He in his late teens had spent a spell at the Borstal Portland. He was a really nice guy and said that after this punishment he did not commit any further offences, no way was he going back inside.