Deserting Old and Bold--Why?

You're probably right. I'll have to re-boot my head and delete the shift-work files. Been doing it for so long - it's going to take time to get used to.
Mind's made up though. Tis time for a change.
I remember my wife Grandfather, he did an Army Career, a dockyard career, and then worked for Securicor until his late 70’s he left school at 12 straight down the Welsh mines. When Securicor made him redundant at short notice, had to let him go before a man with a young family, it took him almost 3 years to adapt to retirement. @BillyNoMates you need a good hobby, best ask Wolf pack leader if you can have one around your decorating and jumping to her orders? :p

You're probably right. I'll have to re-boot my head and delete the shift-work files. Been doing it for so long - it's going to take time to get used to.
Mind's made up though. Tis time for a change.
Actually Billy, as you were doing something that you didn't enjoy, you'll probably find it only takes a couple of weeks (hours?) to get over the 9 to 5 or in your case, shifts.

Pretty soon you'll wonder how you had time to work!

I'm sitting here now, sipping a huge mug of coffee in the warm morning sun and getting ready to make a batch of onion bahjies. Hmmm - which book to read this afternoon.....?

Actually Billy, as you were doing something that you didn't enjoy, you'll probably find it only takes a couple of weeks (hours?) to get over the 9 to 5 or in your case, shifts.

Pretty soon you'll wonder how you had time to work!

I'm sitting here now, sipping a huge mug of coffee in the warm morning sun and getting ready to make a batch of onion bahjies. Hmmm - which book to read this afternoon.....?
Wots this reading crap :eek::p

Don’t you have a garden to landscape, room to decorate or loft to convert? @BillyNoMates doesn’t want it to shabby when he shows up, for some of the warm sunshine stuff.

Last edited:
Don't get me wrong, the job was fine. It just became a drudge. No pay rises, no BZ's for slogging ones bollocks off on overtime. People now on long term sick, shortage of staff and the fact that the difference between going now and at age 65 would only increase my tin handshake by two grand......there's a complete lack of incentive to hang around any longer. It's a job that requires a unique skill set and there's no sign of any recruitment. I'm assuming that some of you know what I do for a living....can't elaborate on that obviously. 46 years of graft completed, 22 RN, the rest in my current employment.
Time for a well earned rest methinks.

Don't get me wrong, the job was fine. It just became a drudge. No pay rises, no BZ's for slogging ones bollocks off on overtime. People now on long term sick, shortage of staff and the fact that the difference between going now and at age 65 would only increase my tin handshake by two grand......there's a complete lack of incentive to hang around any longer. It's a job that requires a unique skill set and there's no sign of any recruitment. I'm assuming that some of you know what I do for a living....can't elaborate on that obviously. 46 years of graft completed, 22 RN, the rest in my current employment.
Time for a well earned rest methinks.
You must retain all your bosses external email addresses and sent them photos of @BillyNoMates on tour, no need to rub it in ??? :D:D;)

I may well do that mate. Is it okay to bring half a dozen malamutes with me?
Malamutes, you may need to get a European rabies passport, takes a couple of months. Will you maintain a good WIFI link to populate your best known thread, may be dodgy with Wolf Pack Leader to hand?

Malamutes, you may need to get a European rabies passport, takes a couple of months. Will you maintain a good WIFI link to populate your best known thread, may be dodgy with Wolf Pack Leader to hand?
Oh I'll find Wi-Fi alright. Even if it means sitting on a bar stool all night.

Back in work tomorrow, then we'll see what's what. Gave 'em an end date of 23/5/18.
The powers that be had better get a wiggle on.
Further updates when I know summat.

Billy.

Back in work tomorrow, then we'll see what's what. Gave 'em an end date of 23/5/18.

Billy.
We have an acquaintance/friend who has a place here. He is in a job he hates, 12 hour shifts in a medical facility production unit where he is the Engineering Manager. He's just turned 50 and was hanging on for his final salary pension etc, with a plan to retire and move over here full time at age 60. Sounds like you - keep getting more jobs/responsibilities but without any extra pay. I thought he'd be on a fortune, but he let slip what he was getting during a rant....... even with his shift pay, he is on more or less what I was getting when I was in the mob on boats and certainly what I was getting at Big And Expensive on T45 - and I have now been out here quite a while!

They have just come out for a break - the master plan all changed - he's done a 'Sod it' and wrapped it all in - they arrive in November!!

As Land Rover say - One Life - Live It!

Edited to add, there is a Japanese expression to assess how much you'll be missed. Get a large bowl of water. Put your hands in the water up to the wrists, then remove them from the water. The size of the hole remaining is directly proportional to your value to the company.

Billy.
They grovelled a bit this morning and asked if I'd hang around until 31/5/18 instead of the 23/5/18.
I said, "Why ever not?"
28/5/18 is a PH and I'm working that for double bubble and 29/5/18 is a Priv Day, so I might as well
rip 'em off for a decent final months pay.

Then it's ENDEX.

Last edited:
They grovelled a bit this morning and asked if I'd hang around until 31/4/18 instead of the 23/4/18.
I said, "Why ever not?"
28/5/18 is a PH and I'm working that for double bubble and 29/5/18 is a Priv Day, so I might as well
rip 'em off for a decent final months pay.

Then it's ENDEX.
@BillyNoMates do you mean 31/5/2018?

Could you have said my terminal date is 23/4/18 after that my contractor rates are? :)

@BillyNoMates do you mean 31/5/2018?

Could you have said my terminal date is 23/4/18 after that my contractor rates are? :)
Well spotted. Dates amended and new papers formally forwarded as of today. Oh, and I wouldn't
come back here as a contractor or Agency even if they paid me footballers wages with Jennifer
Lopez thrown in as a bonus.
Hang on...........let me think about that.

Well spotted. Dates amended and new papers formally forwarded as of today. Oh, and I wouldn't
come back here as a contractor or Agency even if they paid me footballers wages with Jennifer
Lopez thrown in as a bonus.
Hang on...........let me think about that.
Bonus may be iffy I hear she's a bit of a deva, no point swapping one for anther one?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Shakey Miscellaneous 0
P Miscellaneous 0
P Miscellaneous 0