Deserting Old and Bold--Why?

Alf, that is a bit of a sweeping statement. The old adage 'you only get one chance to make a first impression' springs to mind. The age DID exist. I was on Bristol - we fired the Ikara about 2 days before a home port visit. Would it have been better to arrive with a smoke blackened fo'c'sle? You obviously think so. We didn't.

I was a dabber before recatting and I can categorically say we always touched up things like anchor flukes and hawse pipes and any other rusty bits before entering port.

It would seem to me that YOU are 'spouting off' about a time you did not know.
and there is the problem right there "touching up" - it takes between 5 and 7 days to clean a surface to the correct level, prepare, paint and watch dry about three layers of paint so as to produce a sustainable and enduring finish.

Or, of course, you could just paint over it in 30 minutes, and do it the next week, and the week after, and the week after...

I've seen the state of older ships painted using this "method" - whilst they look great from a distance, they are in a shocking material condition once you get below the 17 layers of paint.

Cosmetic painting is the bane of long term preservation of a hull, and is utterly pointless. It is a "tradition" firmly rooted in the bad old navy.

and there is the problem right there "touching up" - it takes between 5 and 7 days to clean a surface to the correct level, prepare, paint and watch dry about three layers of paint so as to produce a sustainable and enduring finish.

Or, of course, you could just paint over it in 30 minutes, and do it the next week, and the week after, and the week after...

I've seen the state of older ships painted using this "method" - whilst they look great from a distance, they are in a shocking material condition once you get below the 17 layers of paint.

Cosmetic painting is the bane of long term preservation of a hull, and is utterly pointless. It is a "tradition" firmly rooted in the bad old navy.
Very true, when I was on the old Bulwark, she was called the Rusty B for a good reason, it was only the many many layers of paint that held the rust together, on the gun sponsons and metadyne rooms underneath, we used to pour the paint on to the deck and spread it with a squegee as you daren't use a chipping hammer or scraper as there was hardly any solid metal left. 1 stoker actually put a hole in the ships hull when he used a chipping hammer trying to clean the paint off the bilges. . I joined it in 1974 and was on it when it paid off 2 years later. I couldn't believe when they brought it out of mothballs to do another two years.

Very true, when I was on the old Bulwark, she was called the Rusty B for a good reason, it was only the many many layers of paint that held the rust together, on the gun sponsons and metadyne rooms underneath, we used to pour the paint on to the deck and spread it with a squegee as you daren't use a chipping hammer or scraper as there was hardly any solid metal left. 1 stoker actually put a hole in the ships hull when he used a chipping hammer trying to clean the paint off the bilges. . I joined it in 1974 and was on it when it paid off 2 years later. I couldn't believe when they brought it out of mothballs to do another two years.
Leanders were the same. I remember pouring green deck paint mixed with varnish behind the fridge flat hatch coaming and working it in with a long tom.

Never mind the years on 3 Deck playing uckers, drinking tinnies and dodging the Joss in the 1970s
a
only dodged him cus he always drank too many tinnies?
that sounds a bit like my OD stage, come to think of it , I occasionally get flash backs and go into OD mode

Nothing quite like the aroma off FFO in the morning, of saturated steam leaks from reciprocating pump glands, of damp lagging etc. This is all too much for this "steamie'....old? I guess I am. Bold? Not so much these days....As has been stated, today's Navy, for better or worse, I find hard to identify with. All of my past ships have either been sunk as targets or are now razor blades etc. Two of those were built either prior to, or during WW2....one still in commission until '74', a type 15. Some of my ship mates of those days I keep in touch with, and some have since crossed the bar. Different times, different navy....good to hear that the divide between the wardroom and the lower deck has deminished and that accommodation has improved. Not before time!
Missing in Action?....sounds about right....:)

Last edited:
Nothing quite like the aroma off FFO in the morning, of saturated steam leaks from the receipt pump glands, of damp lagging etc. This is all too much for this "steamie'....old? I guess I am. Bold? Not so much these days....As has been stated, today's Navy, for better or worse, I find hard to identify with. All of my past ships have either been sunk as targets or are now razor blades etc. Two of those were built either prior to, or during WW2....one still in commission until '74', a type 15. Some of my ship mates of those days I keep in touch with, and some have since crossed the bar. Different times, different navy....good to hear that the divide between the wardroom and the lower deck has deminished and that accommodation has improved. Not before time!
Missing in Action?....sounds about right....:)
Didn't have the FFO but if you go down any nuclear boat donk shop during a flash up and there's no change. Had one old boy come down a Trafalgar class boat I was on, who was an ex-50's era stoker. He looked into the Manouvering Room and reckoned it was like a spaceship, he went in to the engine room and just said he was back in a 1950's era Daring class engine room. He loved it and we couldn't get him out, he could name every bit of kit and wanted us to put steam down the range so he could have a play. His wife said she'd never seen him so animated and happy :)

Dusty70

Lantern Swinger
BKS - I was on Argo 84 -86 - got rated PO (already one on there) and so was given draft to Bulldog

I think I remember T Seal - the PO was S Houghton - drank 2 pints to me every one, and I wasn't an amateur !!

Seadog

War Hero
Didn't have the FFO but if you go down any nuclear boat donk shop during a flash up and there's no change. Had one old boy come down a Trafalgar class boat I was on, who was an ex-50's era stoker. He looked into the Manouvering Room and reckoned it was like a spaceship, he went in to the engine room and just said he was back in a 1950's era Daring class engine room. He loved it and we couldn't get him out, he could name every bit of kit and wanted us to put steam down the range so he could have a play. His wife said she'd never seen him so animated and happy :)
Did he hand you a defect list when he’d done?

Seadog

War Hero
I recall hosting some long retired Danish MN Marine Engineer Officers who drank our beer and slapped our legs in a paternal way while extolling the virtues of marine engineering. “Men’s work.”

For all the man talk and male bonding, their wives had come along. Fitter 60 somethings you’ll never see.

ratsroden

Lantern Swinger
And "knotty" on the SUTH thread shows why I have little tolerance for the old and bold. Trying to spout off on stuff that they have little knowledge of, and draw invalid comparisons from an age that never really existed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Never held a chippin' 'ammer in one hand and a pot of red lead in the other with a Chief Buffer uttering vile imprecations at them. Bloody OD's!

Last edited:

witsend

MIA
Book Reviewer
Rum Ration appears to have lost its way
Why?

For me:- HMS Raleighs' pathos and its Nanny (The paid recruiter Ninja) advising on their acne and ironing problems. God Help Us.

The likes of the MLP belittling Slim for his memory of and liking for Hammy Cheesy Eggy Topsides. MLP clearly had no idea what he was doing in the RN and used vile language to embarrass those that had known.

MOD Propaganda. Seldom read and, for the most part, treated with contempt the MOD-RSS. At what expense are these pieces that insult the intelligence, produced?

Adverts. Rum Ration needs money for it to run. Adverts mean money. How quickly, however. we find ways to avoid them.

It's sad that the old and bold feel the site is unworthy of them and leave. Does such sites have a future?
The Big Bang started it all. The late Steven Hawkins would tell you that. My 3 tins worth........

Relaxing from a long taxing patrol, GoodCO and BadCO were sharing a brew after making hot sweaty love in the foxhole. The idea for ARRSE was born.
Not long after that, the bastard spawn Rum Ration was the first child to be delivered in a birthing pool.

It says the site is unofficial but that’s not the full story. It’s never been unofficial and probably never will be. Internet forums evolve as various influences are exerted and RR is no different. Military forums attract increased attention and scrutiny due to the nature of the topics. It’s unlikely a forum dedicated to a popular motor vehicle is of interest to the manufacturing company, their employees, past, present and future.
I imagine when the idea was formed for ARRSE in that foxhole, GoodCO and BadCO wouldn’t have seen how large and influential it has become.
The hardcore original members and Moderators were probably in most cases serving military. Some of these became moderators. They exerted their influence, and I include the owners, on the website. Also exerting its influence on the site, either officially or behind the scenes is the MOD.

I have no idea why RR didn’t take off, but ARRSE is dominant and covers all things marine.

This isn’t a dig at the Moderators. The Moderators have a difficult task trying to balance their own influence and all the other influences on a website. There are good, bad and shit Moderators, just like there are good, bad and really poor site members. Moderators should have had great names like Drake, Nelson, Collingwood, not Purple Twiglet or Jenny Dabber. Actually Jenny Dabber is cool. Saying I was an arrsehole member would be putting it mildly. My influence wasn’t positive. Reading Ninja Stoker’s comments I would go further and say he recognises his influence on the site and is stepping back. The ‘Newbie’ question “Sieg Heil” is a difficult one, the same as the old and bold “PSOF’s” is a difficult one.

How do you stop the many variations asking the same question ‘can I bring my iPod charger?’ And the trolls who impersonate newbies? Maybe any new topic created in the newbie section has a link/message. It’s auto locked until reviewed by a moderator might be an idea. I actually don’t mind newbies, I was one.

How do you stop the Piss Stained Old Farts from impersonating Uncle Albert ‘When I was in the war’ after their daily tot? I have no idea. Sent them on holiday to Switzerland? You can see the tension at a subject concerning paint on this thread. If you moderate the old and bold they become argumentative and the site suddenly becomes fragmented. This occurred on here and many are members of both sites, ‘RR’ and ‘The Old Sailors Rest Home’. Get rid of the name Diamond Lils and change it to The Mess or PSOFs. Change the Barge to the Bilge. I actually don’t mind PSOFs, I’m going to be one.

At the end of the day if your influence individually as a group is becoming an issue for other members you need to tone it down. In my case I was an offensive arrsehole who should have been banned.

@witsend he is alive, and he said it, ban him be for he becomes a PSOF wits you draw a pension so well on your way:)
You must still have a very good memory, to remember being a newbie :D

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Shakey Miscellaneous 0
P Miscellaneous 0
P Miscellaneous 0