Deserting Old and Bold--Why?

ratsroden

Lantern Swinger
Rum Ration appears to have lost its way
Why?

For me:- HMS Raleighs' pathos and its Nanny (The paid recruiter Ninja) advising on their acne and ironing problems. God Help Us.

The likes of the MLP belittling Slim for his memory of and liking for Hammy Cheesy Eggy Topsides. MLP clearly had no idea what he was doing in the RN and used vile language to embarrass those that had known.

MOD Propaganda. Seldom read and, for the most part, treated with contempt the MOD-RSS. At what expense are these pieces that insult the intelligence, produced?

Adverts. Rum Ration needs money for it to run. Adverts mean money. How quickly, however. we find ways to avoid them.

It's sad that the old and bold feel the site is unworthy of them and leave. Does such sites have a future?

I'm still here, but my only friend is Billy No Mates........

Actually (and surprisingly for once!) I agree with Rats. However, there are a LOT of lurkers - why do they not feel the need to contribute, even if it is rubbish? After all, most of the stuff posted on the interweb is rubbish!

The site has changed a lot over the years, and I tend to ‘lurk’ a lot more than I post as the threads in general hold little to grab my attention.

However, there are a LOT of lurkers - why do they not feel the need to contribute, even if it is rubbish? After all, most of the stuff posted on the interweb is rubbish!
Since you ask, I will respond on behalf of we lurkers.

My only connection with the RN is as the parent of someone currently serving but I enjoy finding out about some of the life in the service both now and in the past. This site offers me a way of learning something of my son's world. That is why I visit.

However, unless the topic is general I have nothing useful to contribute. I observe your world but am not part of it and was taught early that it is normally better to shut up than venture an opinion on something one knows little about.

Perhaps other lurkers have similar reasons for keeping quiet. It is a sort of respect for those of you whose experience is relevant.

Purple_twiglet

War Hero
Aaaah yes, the Old & Bold - a small subset of posters who are convinced that the RN was at its zenith when they were serving and that everything today is shit, the people are shit, the whole thing has gone to to the dogs and if only they were listened to then frankly everything would be perfect.

Got to be honest, I don't really miss much of the posts, it was like being stuck on a train listening to daily mail readers getting angry with clouds.

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
For me:- HMS Raleighs' pathos and its Nanny (The paid recruiter Ninja) advising on their acne and ironing problems. God Help Us.
You're right, I am a paid recruiter but no longer paid to answer recruiting queries online.

I do have a guilt trip with regard answering recruiting queries on a site that was originally populated by those who had served previously (my upmost respect to all of them).

Possibly my answering recruiting queries and castigating those who didn't have this luxury when they joined and therefore felt entitled to spread disinformation and indulge in cyber bullying was misguided. Possibly this has upset those of the snowflake persuasion, aka: "I served ten years in the 1960's/70's & am therefore entitled to transmit with impunity". Possibly the silly old buggers are now dead.

I'm more than happy to step back and let the old duffers (of which I'm one) crack on, hopefully that will enliven the forum. Let's see. I'll jib-off responding to recruiting queries.

In the meantime, I'll join in the lively banter on Arrse and restrict recruiting advice to royalmarines.uk

Purple_twiglet

War Hero
I agree with @Ninja_Stoker here. The attitude of a small minority to bully, belittle and abuse anyone who asks perfectly reasonable questions about joining is depressing. Anyone joining will have questions, that is perfectly natural and is to be encouraged. What is depressing is the manner that, regular as clockwork, some old and bold would pipe up with a lot of (to the questioner) gibberish, not answer the question and generally treat them badly for having the audacity on a 'newbies' forum to ask a 'newbies' question.

Then having done this, they'd moan about the quality of RN personnel today usually, oblivious to their own epic V&S fail.

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
Don't do that, Ninja. You're the best source of recruitment advice for the RN on the internet.
The sentiments are appreciated, Sol, but I do wonder if the recruiting aspect has killed off the social aspect. Not intentional, but it does make you wonder, let's be honest.

I'm not storming off in a huff, rest assured, just seeing if things pick-up generally as there's a whole lot more to the Navy than recruiting. To be honest, about 50% of queries are via pm anyway which is labour intensive - not paid to do it, so will happily give it a swerve :D

Aaaah yes, the Old & Bold - a small subset of posters who are convinced that the RN was at its zenith when they were serving and that everything today is shit, the people are shit, the whole thing has gone to to the dogs and if only they were listened to then frankly everything would be perfect.

Got to be honest, I don't really miss much of the posts, it was like being stuck on a train listening to daily mail readers getting angry with clouds.
As an old & bold member I resemble that remark.
However as far as I am concerned the RN has changed for the better since I left in 1985.
During my years there was a distinct seperation between hoccifers and ratings,
Occifers cetainly had a superiority complex which was at the time reinforced by Dartmouth.
Don't believe me?
Watch some of the 60s/70s films such as Warship Eagle and Sailor.
Then watch some of the more recent offerings.
Todays occifors seem to have lost this attitude which is a good thing for both officers and ratings.
I would find it much easier serving in the modern RN
Modern Jack (& Jenny) have far better living conditions both ashore and at sea.
Perhaps the RN does not have as many ships, but it no longer needs them.
I would like to see the youngsters getting more foreign runs ashore though, they deserve it.

The sentiments are appreciated, Sol, but I do wonder if the recruiting aspect has killed off the social aspect. Not intentional, but it does make you wonder, let's be honest.

I'm not storming off in a huff, rest assured, just seeing if things pick-up generally as there's a whole lot more to the Navy than recruiting. To be honest, about 50% of queries are via pm anyway which is labour intensive.
Ninja, I have on occasion steered a cadet or two to the site, admittedly with a warning, that it was a unofficial site, and that the threads can be ‘robust’ but that there was a lot of information to be gleaned for potential new recruits for the RN.

P_T, I tried to avoid crayoning in the joiners and the more serious threads, as did many of the old and bold from what I saw, admittedly some did jump in with both feet and rip the piss, derservedly on the odd occasion. Unfotunately some moderators seemed to forget, this is an unofficial site for those that have served, are serving or who have an interest in the RN/RM, (not a newbies forum, but a naval centred forum with a newbies area) and instead of moderating, jumped on them, and then carried it over to the less serious threads, restricting the banter that had made the site attractive in the first place.

later this year I will have been a civy 20 years, granted I worked on RN contracts for the first 13 yrs out, the RN is and always be an evolutionary force, it has to be to react to the changing world we live in, civy street is the same, but you don't seem to have the same mates. Everyone that joins will hear, in my day or similar, and after a few years, when they see change, may utter the same. I maybe part of the old but most certainly not bold.
for those not wishing to throw your sixpenith in and talk rubbish, believe me that is often some of the best banter throwing, every one talking bollicks .

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
FFS don't do that on the strength of comments by the OP.
Especially not this OP! :rolleyes:
To be completely fair, I've wondered the same myself so I think it only fair to ease off a little on the recruiting bit (I'm happy to take a break without any umbrage, truly).

Hopefully things may pick up. I enjoy contributing on Arrse and try to avoid any recruiting stuff, so am happy to take a break, honest. :)

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
'' MLP clearly had no idea what he was doing in the RN ''

I doubt you would have come out with this if he was still on site. Maybe @northern-matelot could confirm if Monty is still aboard QE ?.
If he is i'm gutted we didn't meet socially as I've had a bimble around previously quite recently and will visit QE again several times over the coming months to ensure we're "up to speed" on the latest ships.

Purple_twiglet

War Hero
Ninja, I have on occasion steered a cadet or two to the site, admittedly with a warning, that it was a unofficial site, and that the threads can be ‘robust’ but that there was a lot of information to be gleaned for potential new recruits for the RN.

P_T, I tried to avoid crayoning in the joiners and the more serious threads, as did many of the old and bold from what I saw, admittedly some did jump in with both feet and rip the piss, derservedly on the odd occasion. Unfotunately some moderators seemed to forget, this is an unofficial site for those that have served, are serving or who have an interest in the RN/RM, (not a newbies forum, but a naval centred forum with a newbies area) and instead of moderating, jumped on them, and then carried it over to the less serious threads, restricting the banter that had made the site attractive in the first place.
Agree to a point - but the problem is that there were some who believed the entire site, including newbies was to be crayoned on, which was a shame.

One of the big advantages which Rum Ration has is that the person who is most likely to answer questions on recruitment, Ninja, is also very literate. For examples of answers to questions about joining the Royal Navy where the person answering the question isn't literate, there is no need to look any further than the Royal Navy Recruitment page on Facebook.

I had a quick look at that page the other day to see whether there had been any improvements on this score and was disappointed to discover that the opposite was true. The general standard of English exhibited by the people paid to answer enquiries on there is pitiful and I have no real idea why. I saw a sequence of replies on there the other day from one of the Royal Navy Recruitment posters and the English used was so poor, I came to the conclusion that the poster concerned did not have English as a first language. I've often wondered whether this applies to a whole group of them, which is why they seem to be "cutting and pasting" so often; is the rationale, perhaps, that allowing them to cut and paste something which has been written by a native speaker does at least prevent them from launching into their own pitiful attempts at the language.

We should treasure Ninja on Rum Ration. Not only does he have decades of service under his belt, he is also well-informed and literate. You would never want the RN Recruitment people on here - you would be bewildered by the gibberish.