Desert Island, Book and Luxury

Discussion in 'The Quarterdeck' started by PINCH, Aug 14, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. We have seen the discs which people would take as that has been covered on the Ipod thread.

But on the island you can have one book and one luxury.

You can have the Bible ( or any other religious text) the complete works of William Shakespeare.

The luxury cannot aid your escape from the island.

Book : - Michael Foucault Making the Normal Strange, it would take a life time to understand it.

Luxury: A Wind up Radio
  2. Book: Lord of the Rings

Luxury: My MacBook
  3. Under the Human Rights Act I'd insist on substituting Wittgenstein's Blue and Brown books for the Bible...

My light reading would be Nicola Lacey's excellent biography of the late Professor Herbert Hart.

My luxury would be my iBook with a permenant and reliable connection to Rum Ration...

With those things, why would I want to construct a raft... I'd wait for the RN to come and get me instead.... or not, as the case may be :)
  4. book 4 weeks in may

luxury mp3 player
  5. chieftiff

chieftiff War Hero Moderator

ONE BOOK! I read at least one a week. It would have to be the complete version of The Dragonbone Chair by Tad Williams, luxury would be another book, probably Imagining Numbers (especially the square root of minus fifteen) by Barry Mazur.

I would sneak some seeds between the pages of the books and start a garden, or is that cheating?
  6. er not all of us Pinch we haven't. Some of us don't have those white wormy things and actually think that people who do are anti-social prats ...

however ...

my book would be Stevie Smith's 'The Holiday' - for its exquisite prose and perfectly recreated mood of gentle melancholy

my luxury would be a stack of paper etc or maybe some more techie thing to get on with that novel I've been meaning to write ....

(or maybe a load of condoms in case of passing sailors .... hmm)

7. Book= Dune

Luxury= Hammock

(or maybe a load of condoms in case of passing Wrens...) :w00t:
  8. Something of Value by Robert Ruark and..............
    my telescope....a twelve inch reflector.....being on a deserted desert island means no background light pollution whatsoever - BLISS!!!!
    Dark skies will return one day.....but I'm not holding my breath!
  9. Caught cheating. No seeds :thumright:
  10. Maybe that's where the condoms come in!
  11. Catch 22.

A fishing rod.
  12. SAS Survival handbook

A barbecue (There's good eating on monkeys!) :hungry:
  13. chieftiff

14. Swallow them before you go, then they will be ready for planting in their own fertilizer :thumright:
  15. Book would be "Coasting" by Jonathon Raban as I never tire of reading it, I might even be inspired to build a boat and learn to sail it.

Luxury, quite practically, would be a good knife.
  16. Dangerous:

"There was a young lady from leeds

Who swallowed a packet of seeds

In under an hour, Her head was a flower

And her pubes were a bundle of weeds"

It's true I tell ya, saw it in black and white! :eek:mg:
  17. chieftiff

18. you could have all the pretty mermaids SSE ... not sure if they need condoms

19. Book = Lost Voices
    Luxury = Lagavulin, lots of it.
  20. Book : Send Down A Dove

Luxury: Soft toilet paper