Desecration of HMS Repulse and HMS PoW War Graves

janner said:
I have emailed ebay complaining about this offensive material, can I suggest that others do the same
done

Reading the threads on here and Arrse words fail me how this excuse for a human being can try to justify his actions.

andym, fully agree with you they would not like it one bit. Fortunately the vast majority of divers have respect for war graves but there always has to be one sick bastard who has none.

Response from Commonwealth Graves Commission.

Thank you for contacting the Commonwealth War Graves Commission.

Your enquiry has been forwarded to our Enquiries Section and will be
dealt with as soon as possible.
Although we would point out that we are currently working to clear a
backlog.
Therefore there may be some delay.

DingDong said:
I was over the wrecks in 2005 with a party of survivors
So was I, a very moving, emotional experience. Seem to remember passing a large rum from the POs mess down to the stokers mess so one of the veterans could enjoy a tot with his modern day equivalent

Bump
It would seem that our Pongo partners on ARRSE are trying to get to grips with this, this forum however seems a little lacking in its conviction to what is a RN war grave

I'm actually surprised and I'll admit disappointed that there isn't more reaction from the Dark Blue here Rab.

DozyBint over on Arrse, being an old Malaysian diving hand is looking to get the response organised, and a good few of the Army are asking her what they can do in terms of letter writing etc, to start a momentum going.

Personally, if I was the diver involved reading the lack of reaction on this side, I'd be telling myself it's obviously all right to go disturbing the final resting places of heroes.

This matter was raised with Parliament by the HMS Repulse Association last year and got mentioned. The problem is a lack of political will to press this matter at fora like the UN. I've seen the video and a copy is available to MPs should they wish to see it. It seems odd that this man offers trips to view war graves but sees nothing wrong with what he is doing. How would he feel if "archaeologists" started digging up the graves of his relatives, filming the whole distasteful process then made a DVD of it and posted excerpts of it on the internet for all to see and offering the whole grizzly film for sale? Of course doing so, at least in England & Wales is against the law. There is a need to engage the public in a campaign of this nature and people need to write to and especially visit (which has much more impact - basic psychology) their MPs and demand change. The public need to have the analogy of desecrating the graves of recently disceased on land to drive the message home. What a pity the churches are not taking a moral lead on this matter and raising it regularly in the House of Lords. :angry4:

Interestingly, everyone I've discussed this matter with at work is always shocked and filled with disbelief that this is allowed to happen. When they see the stills they are appalled. I suspect many MPs and clergy have no real idea what is going on or are sceptical. Part of the problem is also that viewers do not always appear to actually see any remains despite the images being before their eyes!

PTP
I have been in touch with a Thai diving organisation who are diving on the site and have had them publish a reply. I am out on a limb in this part of the world but believe as ex RN and a rec diver I have done and will continue to do my bit, maybe the guys here need a link to the ARRSE topic on this situation.

The wife's great uncle Eric is one of the survivors of the POW. I'll have a chat with him later this evening and get this response. I know that there are only a couple of dozen left of that ship's company.

As much as I enjoy diving (only down to 11 metres) I am a great a believer in having a goof but in not touching anything. It is not our world down there.

hammockhead

Lantern Swinger
PTP, I suspect that many others like me post on ARRSE rather than RR when there is a topic on both boards, because there are more people and the discussion tends to be better.

Well, Eric was aware of something happening in the past with regards to divers - but not too sure of who the divers were or when. He said that he will talk to the lady who runs the Repulse and POW reunions association and ask her to give me a call. I can then point her to Arrse and RR (I am sure that there is a joke in there somewhere ... but I just can't do it as this is one of those times to be serious).

Eric said that there are only 15 of them left now from those two ships..... sad :-(

[align=center]'Reflections from Guzz'.

Once I looked from the Tamar Bridge at the warships down below,
ships of the modern navy with names I did not know.
And, as I stood and gazed at them on the water far below
I saw a fleet of phantom ships and men of long ago.

The Rodney and the Nelson, the Valiant and Ramilies
Repulse, Renown and Malaya, coming home from foreign seas.
I saw Revenge and Warspite, ill-fated Royal Oak,
so many ships, their names made faint by shell and fire and smoke.

And some I see to harbour come as thro glasses dark,
the Barham and the Glorious, the Eagle and the Ark,
and then, there comes the greatest, the mighty warship Hood,
dark and grey and wraithlike, from the spot on which I stood.

From the cruel North Atlantic, from the Med and Java sea,
the big ships and the little ships returned for me to see.
There's the Dorsetshire, Edinburgh, Campbeltown and Kent,
the Cossack, and Courageous, the Charybdis and Ardent.

Now I can't see very clearly, must be smoke that's in my eyes,
but mercifully hidden are the men and stilled, their raucous cries.

You don't know Shorty Hasset, he won the D.S.M.
He still fought on when Exeter was burning stern to stem.

Where now...! Dodger Long and Lofty, where now the boys and men?
They are lost and gone forever-shall we see their likes again?
I thought I saw them mustering on deck for daily prayer,
and heard 'For those in Peril' rise on the evening air.

Then darker grew the picture as the lowering night came on,
I looked down from that lofty bridge, but all the ships were gone.
Those mighty ships had vanished; gone those simple men,
we'll surely never-ever, see the likes of them again.[/align]

(Acknowledgements to 'Rodney Buzz')

[align=center]
Rest In Peace[/align]

hammockhead said:
PTP, I suspect that many others like me post on ARRSE rather than RR when there is a topic on both boards, because there are more people and the discussion tends to be better.
I'm another "bl00dy matelot" who migrates to ARRSE for big purple issues like this although I use a different pseudonym.

Needless to say , I am appalled at the desacration of these War Graves and the cavalier attitudes of the perpetrators. This is another reason why Americans are seen as arrogant and disrespectful of others traditions. I do however feel somewhat impotent in this matter.

chinamatelot

Lantern Swinger
Had a meeting with a business colleague based in KL today. Explained the situation to him, he will try to help. Obviously, no guarantees but it's worth a try. This cannot be accepted.

I will update if anything comes out of the conversation.

China.

I too migrate to ARRSe when a real purple issue is involved ( like the SSAFA House at Ashtead) They seem to have more hands and are much better organised for this sort of campaign. As long as these major issues on ARRSe are flagged up her on RR then everyone can lend their support as a combined effort through ARRSes lead.

However, apart from Naval_Gazer, who is an ex RN MCDO, I am surprised at the lack of response from Ex RN MCDO's / CD's on RR to this topic. Perhaps they just don't come on here as they are too busy making mega bucks in various parts of the World. :nemo: :nemo: :nemo:

Hydra_Joe said:
I too migrate to ARRSe when a real purple issue is involved ( like the SSAFA House at Ashtead) They seem to have more hands and are much better organised for this sort of campaign. As long as these major issues on ARRSe are flagged up her on RR then everyone can lend their support as a combined effort through ARRSes lead.

However, apart from Naval_Gazer, who is an ex RN MCDO, I am surprised at the lack of response from Ex RN MCDO's / CD's on RR to this topic. Perhaps they just don't come on here as they are too busy making mega bucks in various parts of the World. :nemo: :nemo: :nemo:
Have you ever seen a diver that can use a calculator, let alone a computer?
Come on, have a bit of sympathy for the bubble heads.