Desecration of HMS Repulse and HMS PoW War Graves

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by scapa, Aug 17, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Re: How can this be allowed to happen?

Wrong URL post again.

2. Re: How can this be allowed to happen?

What an absolute cnut. Hope he gets done legally, or failing that, "meets" some veterans in a dark alley. The man is a total and utter scumbag.

3. Re: How can this be allowed to happen?

Words fail - anyone in MoD looking at this? Looks like some of the guys on ARRSE are trying to kick it upstairs to the right people.

4. Seadog

Seadog War Hero Moderator

Re: How can this be allowed to happen?

While wishing that diver matey and chums run out of air or meet with a hungry shark next dive let's not start ranting, let's be constructive.

Who do we tell and what can be done.

5. Seadog

One diver concerned gives the impression that he'll be doing the same again in April 2008, jumping off point, Singapore. Who fancys a run ashore in Singapore then? Have a chat with him.

This may be one of them. I'd ask anyone who engages with him 'online' to put some distance between you and RR/ARRSE lest a flaming/spamming war with some of the diving community result.

http://www.direxplorers.com/members/kevrumbo.html

6. I'd like to see more evidence on this , but that seaboot SSW of the skull is a poignant reminder on it's own.

I know what the Department of the Navy's attitude is, on diving on their wrecks, which is look but don't touch at your own risk. Diving on ones that that contain their dead and touching or removing artifacts? Stand by to stand by for a spell of rockbreaking PT.

At the very least , that ghastly voyeuristc photo needs to be removed.

In fact , of all the wreckdiving photos I've ever seen which is a substantial number, it's the first time I've seen one that featured identifiable human remains.

One other thought does occur to me, I don't think the Force Z wrecks are controlled sites, just protected ones. Which means every Tom, Dick or Abner can dive on them, but disturbing the wrecks is an offence.

The problem is , I think the protected sites rule only applies to UK citizens diving UK wrecks worldwide, and not citizens of other nations.

Unless this diver has disturbed the wreck, then there is nothing that can realistically be done save harsh language about moral values.

As Seadog so rightly points out, if you are going to engage with all harshness available, can you put some room between RR/Arrse just to avoid a pointless cross forum flame war?

While the vast majority of divers are conscientious individuals, mindful or historical and moral values , some Divers are arrogant beyond belief as to their "Rights to dive".

7. FlagWagger

FlagWagger Book Reviewer

Doing a quick search on all of Mr Rumbo's posts on that site, pulls up this:

Flanders Fields thread. His own view on war dead, taken directly from one of his posts is:

"American or Brit . . .Filipino or Anzac . . . European or Asian. On this Memorial Day, I revere and honor those who not only died in the Service of their Country, but most of all --those who paid the Ultimate Sacrifice for the future prosperity of their Families and Loved Ones. . ."

Perhaps Mr Rumbo is not responsible for the photos?

8. Seadog

You may well be right Flagwagger. Proceeding with caution, as should everyone else.

PTP would like more evidence. Fair one as I can't see a link to the story and the photos on the initial post on ARRSE. Or maybe I'm just having a bumblebee moment.

9. FlagWagger

FlagWagger Book Reviewer

Another quick point....

The guy mentioned in the original post on ARRSE is Andrew Georgitsis ([email protected]); this is a different person to the guy identified in later posts, Kev Rumbo.

10. I've just been banned from the 5thd-x.com forum after leaving a condemnatory message comparing diving on Repulse and POW with making unauthorised dives on the Arizona in Pearl Harbour. I see he has a poll running as to whether it's acceptable to dive on war graves. Not many voters but all bar one say 'yes'. Hardly surprising if he bans those who disagree!

11. Gents,

I've posted on this earlier today on ARRSE and on the basis of what I've seen am thoroughly disgusted with the individual concerned. Given my location in Singapore I've flagged it may be worthwhile routing any official complaints via the Brit High Commissioner, who is better placed to represent our concerns with KL and the US govt.

PTP - once we have a clear position on this issue, & like Iron Duke on ARRSE I've taken screenshots, suggest we act on it. What has happened we can't change but there may be scope to argue for those who died some more protection.

lancslad

12. I think we should send a warship to the area asap, if we can spare any... Perhaps let off a depthcharge by accident when he's diving :rambo:

What a callous bastard!

~Vesper

13. I have just rechecked the website and they seem to be deleting contentious posts. Try searching "Repulse" and you come up with about 4 threads, with only one that has anything disagreeing with them. Mine have vanished (I wonder why?)!

I have pm'd Kevrumbo...I wonder if he will reply??

14. Looks like some back pedaling is going on, the pic links on ARRSE have changed...

He has noticed...

Wonder what his definition of hate mail is?

http://forum.5thd-x.com/viewtopic.php?t=3276

15. This is the company that advertises dives on a Royal Navy war grave (HMS Repulse). I'm an ex-RN diver myself and I'm livid. As with the Royal Oak at Scapa Flow, the RN has reverently laid wreaths and replaced the ensigns periodically on the wrecks of the Repulse and POW.

16. Apparently it's comparing diving on the POW and Repulse war graves with diving on the wreck of the Arizona in Pearl Harbour, because that's what I posted. Oh, I also pointed out that many of the relatives of those lost, including sons and daughters, are still around today.