Derby Telegraph: "Asbestos On Royal Navy Ships Killed Derby Sailor"

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by soleil, Nov 1, 2013.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

Fearless was full of it, our mess deck (The Barracks) got closed down and workmen in full protective suits were hacking away at the pipe lagging removing "Blue" asbestos. All this done behind big thick wall to wall, ceiling to floor (Hehe) heavy plastic sheeting. They bagged it and piled it up, covered in asbestos dust.

All good until some bloody young matelot rupert ordered us booties (dressed in T'shirts and shorts) into the protected area to move the waste asbestos away. I protested but got threatened with a charge unless I did it, I requested that this work detail was noted in my medical docs..... dunno if it ever was, they've gone missing.

2. I had a similar problem working with isocyanate glue, I developed industrial asthma, luckily for me a friendly medic gave me my medical documents to photocopy before I left the mob.
    So when I claimed a medical war pension and they tried to tell me they lost my documents I sent them some photocopies, a few medicals later I was given a war pension.

3. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

My docs are dust mate, I doubt I'm unique.

4. I'm fcuking sure that I slung my hammock under asbestos lagged pipes and trunking stacks of time. H.M.S. Adamant ; the mine deck of the Plover and the Heartland Point and DĂșncansby Head do not bare thinking about. It was not all Rose tinted and wild runs ashore back in the 50's.