Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Depression

chieftiff

War Hero
I really would like to know, as I don't believe the country is best served by basing such an important decision as to who to take into the military on knee jerk reactions to recent tragic events or anecdotal accounts, but rather properly conducted research designed to avoid common pitfalls such as shown in my "lunacy" example above.

As much as I respect your empathy for Johnny and obvious sense of 'fairness' there is something you seem to be forgetting. The decision as to who the navy recruit is all about who the navy need to fulfil their role versus who they can get, currently there isn't a problem getting young people in the door, as long as that situation exists they won't take any risks that they don't have to it's as simple as that, the logic is infallible, why should they follow an illogical route and add potential risk to recruitment.

I know it seems that the focus of this sort of decision is on the individual, it is after all they who may have their lifelong dreams dashed in a second, in reality the focus is the interest of the service and ultimately the country. The reality is that this is a decision that is unlikely to be changed unless the number of available applicants takes a dramatic drop and the navy 'need' to look further afield to meet their recruitment targets.

There are plenty of other equally challenging, adventurous and rewarding careers out there, rather than waste a big chunk of energy dwelling on something that has passed it's best to focus the mind on something of worth.

Ratcatcher

Badgeman
In a similar point to above, once the MOD has spent money training you and you develop a mental illness, it is in their financial interest to try and keep you on board. It is a safer financial decision not to risk training someone who (statistically) is at a greater risk of developing a mental illness especially when there are surplus applicants. They are simply hedging their bets.

SONAR-BENDER

War Hero
Well, as this thread is now lurching to it's end, may I share the following, which was sent to me today.... It might not be very PC but it made me giggle and if you giggle, then you can't be depressed - right?

Depressed?

Over five thousand years ago, Moses said to the children of Israel, "Pick up your shovels, mount your asses and camels, and I will lead you to the Promised Land."

Nearly 75 years ago, (when Welfare was introduced) Roosevelt said, "Lay down your shovels, sit on your asses, and light up a Camel, this is the Promised Land."

Today, Congress has stolen your shovel, taxed your asses, raised the price of Camels and mortgaged the Promised Land!

I
Was so depressed last night thinking about Health Care Plans, the economy, the wars, lost jobs, savings, Social Security, retirement funds, etc .... I called a Suicide Hotline.

I
Had to press 1 for English and was connected to a call center in Pakistan.

I Told them I was suicidal and they got excited asking if I could drive a truck....

We're screwed

A

angrydoc

I agree this thread is drawing to a conclusion with 2 points of view: one that feels that any selection criteria based on previous medical conditions amounts to stigma and one which feels that the Armed Forces has a duty to ensure those it puts very much in harm's way are in the best position, physically and mentally, for the tasks required of them.

These 2 points are firmly believed by their proponents and I don't see much compromise forthcoming.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
R TMU for past bout of depression, what are my chances? Joining the Royal Navy 11
H History of depression Joining the Royal Navy 4
G Joining the Royal Marines with a history of depression Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
N Medical- depression Joining the Royal Navy 2
J Undiagnosed Depression Health & Fitness 1
C RM Shoulder Op and Depression Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
W Depression - medical Joining the Royal Navy 4
B Medical - Depression Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 10
M Joining with past depression Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 12
S Joining with depression. Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
K joining with depression on my medical Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 13
T Re Engagement in the RNR and Depression Health & Fitness 1
SONAR-BENDER PTSD, Depression etc Health & Fitness 0
F Can you join if you have a medical history of Mild Depression? Health & Fitness 3
R Depression - Uncertainty Health & Fitness 6
A Bursar Depression Health & Fitness 3
W Depression Health & Fitness 41
J Depression and medicals Health & Fitness 171
soggykitkat depression Blue Jokes 1
J Depression Health & Fitness 39
B barred for depression? Health & Fitness 17
C Depression and prozac Health & Fitness 17
C Depression? Health & Fitness 29
S depression Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
W depression Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 7
H Depression , suicide and schizophrenia The Quarterdeck 10