depression

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by wolf, Mar 23, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. hi all,
    really need some advice, I was all set to go into afco when looking through some sights and found some info which has really taken wind out of my sails.
    I recently got over a bout of depression, got treated and am through the other side, but now concerned that that will stop me getting in on medical grounds, this is all i've wanted to do and am now really worried and disheartned. any advice would be helpful.

2. Really depends on the level of depression and what type and what caused it !, dont answer that in public .If you where trying to commit suicide or self harm, then maybe no, why not try and get some advice from the AFCO, maybe out of your area, ask there advice.

Good luck, let us know how you get on.

3. He has posted an identical thread on Arrse, obviously not that commited to either us or you guys.

4. cheers mate, maybe i'll call one of the afco's outside of my area for advice. Will any questions i ask them be held against any application, cos surely they will want my details and then say they match them to an application at my local afco?

5. Life in the RN is one of extremes. The good times are really, really good, and no civvy will ever understand.

The bad times, however, unless you've got a grip, can be soooooooo bad!

Be aware!

6. Heya. I don't really know the answer to your question but I do know that if you're susceptible to depression, life on board will not be kind to you. Being at sea is hard enough for those who have good mental health, let alone for those who unfortunately don't.

Good luck with it all, let us know how it goes.

7. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

The medical guidance notes on your application form states the following:

Psychiatric disorders

Ongoing psychiatric illness. Psychosis. Schizophrenia Obsessive-compulsive
    disorder. Autism. Personality disorder. More than one episode of deliberate
    self-harm of any type. Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD). Alcohol, drug or
    substance dependence. Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) unless
    free of symptoms and not requiring treatment for at least 3 years. Anorexia and bulimia.

In short the Medical Officer at the AFCO is the one to speak to for clarification, but in any case you need to be free from treatment, counseling & medication for a set period of time, at the very least.

Good luck.

8. Depends what caused the depression. If you were depressed because your cat died, and you've got over it, then there won't be a problem. If you had "endogenous depression" (ie depressed for no apparent reason) then you may need review by a Naval Consultant Psychiatrist. It's up to the MO at your medical.