Depression - Uncertainty

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by R.D.Jewells, Jul 22, 2013.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I have recently failed my medical based on an episode of depression 6 years ago. Given the length of time that has elapsed between now and then, I was unsure of the details regarding what had happened. I was sent to investigate and then return my findings. The episode lasted 5 months (over the 12 week limit). However, I remember being quite slack regarding the medication, I missed days, or sometimes even weeks at a time before returning to my GP for assistance. On this basis, I am unsure whether this counts as 1 episode of 5 months or broken isolated episodes?

Within the last 6 years I have overcome much more serious issues than those that had lead to the original episode of depression. I have coped fine and show no signs of any subsequent issues. I know the military are pretty black and white about this sort of stuff, but are there any cases or situations in which individuals are looked at based upon their specific case?

Also, could somebody please put me on to any documents concerning medical requirements regarding depression. Thanks.
  2. Last edited: Jul 22, 2013
  3. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

4. Thank you both. Haha yes I wait in anticipation.
  5. Are these requirements consistent throughout all armed services or does it differ between the RAF, Navy and Army?
  6. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

I`d guess it`s a tri service policy, but no harm in asking the Army or the other lot.
  7. All points have been covered before ad nauseum. 12 weeks is the limit, missing the odd day of sertraline etc won't make a huge difference clinically. You can appeal if you really want to but the success rate regarding this type of query is low. Army and RAF use the same standards.