Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Depression - medical

wiganrl

Hi, newbie to the forum.

I have just passed my recruitment test today and now need to prepare my medical forms and wait for the interview call.

Reading through the medical form I noticed a note about 'depression in the last two years'...

In January I went to the doctors about a situation in my personal life - which I thought could it be depression when realistically I knew it wasn't, I was just caught up in it all at the time.

The doctor gave me antidepressants for 14 days and didn't actually clarify that it was depression. I never taken the anti depressants and I've not been in anyway depressed one bit.

Do you think this will affect my application?

I'm going to the doctors this week to see if they can write a letter to sign it off to say it wasn't necessary, if that's possible...

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
The best way to prove the treatment was not necessary is to return the prescribed medication, unused to your GP surgery and request that it is recorded.

If you have a chat with your practice manager, you should be able to view your medical records in relation to the issue and if you dispute the diagnosis, then that is your prerogative...but, if the medical history indicates there was a diagnosed mental health issue, then unfortunately the medical standards for entry are valid in order to safeguard your wellbeing and those who may subsequently rely upon you functioning at 100% in an operational environment, potentially under extreme duress.

Best of luck.

wiganrl

Thanks Ninja.

I have been to the doctors this morning, they said they would record it as we've spoke but can confirm it was not clinical depression and it was just a rough patch in my life.

So I'm hoping whenever the navy contact my GP that will be good enough to pass my medical.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
N Medical- depression Joining the Royal Navy 2
B Medical - Depression Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 10
K joining with depression on my medical Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 13
F Can you join if you have a medical history of Mild Depression? Health & Fitness 3
R TMU for past bout of depression, what are my chances? Joining the Royal Navy 11
H History of depression Joining the Royal Navy 4
G Joining the Royal Marines with a history of depression Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
J Undiagnosed Depression Health & Fitness 1
C RM Shoulder Op and Depression Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
M Joining with past depression Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 12
S Joining with depression. Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
T Re Engagement in the RNR and Depression Health & Fitness 1
SONAR-BENDER PTSD, Depression etc Health & Fitness 0
R Depression - Uncertainty Health & Fitness 6
A Bursar Depression Health & Fitness 3
W Depression Health & Fitness 41
J Depression Health & Fitness 23
J Depression and medicals Health & Fitness 171
soggykitkat depression Blue Jokes 1
J Depression Health & Fitness 39
B barred for depression? Health & Fitness 17
C Depression and prozac Health & Fitness 17
C Depression? Health & Fitness 29
S depression Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
W depression Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 7
H Depression , suicide and schizophrenia The Quarterdeck 10
N Colour perception in medical Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 12
MoD_RSS Letter to medicines and medical products suppliers: 17 November 2020 MoD News 0
C Capita and medical history Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
L Face to Face Medical - Covid Lockdown? Joining the Royal Navy 0
B Re-applying and the medical. Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
N royal navy medical appeal alcohol Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
R Pre-entry Medical Manchester location? Cancer? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
A Excess Weight - COVID challenges and a failed medical Joining the Royal Navy 0
M Pre-joining medical : where is it? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
MoD_RSS Medical device supplier resolves CMA concerns MoD News 0
T Potential medical discharge Finance & Pensions 29
W Failed Medical- Eczema Joining the Royal Navy 5
M Medical Review Query Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
M Medical Confusion Joining the Royal Navy 15
A Medical Eligabillity Joining the Royal Navy 16
S Medical Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
MoD_RSS Deputy Chief Medical Officer Professor Jonathan Van-Tam's Op-Ed MoD News 0
C Medical Assistant Role Joining the Royal Navy 5
MoD_RSS Emerging Canadian leaders in the medical field secure UK Government's Chevening Scholarship MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Update from the UK Chief Medical Officers on the COVID-19 alert level MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Chief Scientific Advisor and Chief Medical Officer briefing on coronavirus (COVID-19): 21 September 2020 MoD News 0
B Captia medical Joining the Royal Navy 3
P Medical Appeals waiting time Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 7
R Medical questionnaire, best practice. Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4