Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Depot ships

spearfish

War Hero
Do any of you have any memories of operating from a depot ship? I am investigating the loss of HMS Medway in 1942 and would like to know how the loss of a depot ship would affect the life of a submariner.

Used to come alongside the Forth (when it was called Defiance) before the shore base Defiance was built. I was even ships company for a short while whilst waiting for a sea draft. This was 1977 though, so no real impact if it had gone.

Used to come alongside the Forth (when it was called Defiance) before the shore base Defiance was built. I was even ships company for a short while whilst waiting for a sea draft. This was 1977 though, so no real impact if it had gone.

Brought FORTH back to UK as part of a skeleton crew. Bunch of us had a beach party in Gibraltar availing ourselves of the remaining crates of Tiger beer left onboard. We buried what we couldn't see off on the beach...possibly Catalan.
A good trip was had, apart from the Bay of Biscay. Harry Roughers all the way at a very slow speed. Discovered I did not suffer from sea sickness...but there were plenty of spewy sailors giving it welly I can tell you.

Brought FORTH back to UK as part of a skeleton crew. Bunch of us had a beach party in Gibraltar availing ourselves of the remaining crates of Tiger beer left onboard. We buried what we couldn't see off on the beach...possibly Catalan.
A good trip was had, apart from the Bay of Biscay. Harry Roughers all the way at a very slow speed. Discovered I did not suffer from sea sickness...but there were plenty of spewy sailors giving it welly I can tell you.
Top speed was about 9 knts , had a very enjoyable 15 months on her 68/9 FES , money for old rope stuck out on the buoy.

The Forth was supposed to be the depot ship out the Fez in the early 1970s. I was out there on Oberon and only set foot on it twice in 18 months.

Latest Threads