Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by kagg, Nov 3, 2010.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi everyone.

I have got myself confused about some deployments and wondered if anyone can shed any light on the issue.

Basically, its to do with what Combined Task Force is where, this is how I understand it:

CTF 150 - Indian Ocean.
    CTF 151 - Gulf of Aden.
    CTF 152 - Arabian Gulf.

Does the Arabian Gulf not include the Indian Ocean and Gulf of Aden?

What is the CTF for the Horn of Africa area? Or is this included in CTF 152?

Getting confused, any help appreciated, any slagging off will also be tolerated if it clears this up! Thanks.
  2. Purple_twiglet

Purple_twiglet War Hero Moderator

Cant remember off the top of my head, but you really dont need to know this sort of level of detail for AIB. Just know broadly where the RN is, what its up to and what is deployed there. They won't expect you to turn up with a working knowledge of RN command structures, which chances are the board themselves dont know.

Generally though:

Gulf - protection of oil platforms, anti piracy and reassurance

HOA / Indian Ocean - Anti Piracy and counter terrorism
  3. off the top of my head CTF 152 is in command of CTF 150 and 151.

dont ask me why its probably something to do with the yanks though.

Hope that helps
  4. Thats what I was hoping someone would say, as it was what basically what I reckon it must be.

Thanks also, Purple_twiglet, I presumed I would need to know this for AIB, but if not then it has just got that tiny little bit easier. 8O
  5. Purple_twiglet

No - AIB is looking for a relatively basic level of service knowledge. You should know roughly how many of each type of major warship (down to MCMV) there are, what they do and are used for, and know the main areas of current RN deployments, and what we're doing there.

Naval knowledge is a tiny part (a few questions at most) of a 3 day assessment. They want to know if you have the potential to lead and manage people, not if you know more about the RN than they do!
  6. (my bold).

Does that include vessels from other countries or is just the RN ones enough?
  7. Purple_twiglet

"Does that include vessels from other countries or is just the RN ones enough? "

NO! (Emphatically NO!)

Look, the AIB service knowledge is really bloody easy. Go the RN website and pay attention to what they tell you about the ships and deployments. Most of the pages have a short info blurb and thats it. You do not need to know more detail for AIB than you would find on the RN website.

Useful rule of thumb for revision - if you're struggling to find out the information, and its not on the RN or MOD website, then you don't need to know it for your AIB.

I did my AIB 11 years ago, and have observed them since then. In this time I've never seen an interview about service knowledge require more than a cursory 'what ship is this', 'what does this ship do', 'what sort of weapons has it got' and 'where is this class (not individual) ship deployed at the moment'. You will also get 'show me a trouble spot' or 'tell me where the RN is deployed at the moment', but ultimately in a 30 odd minute interview, you can expect to spend maybe 5 minutes at most on the RN and current affairs.

I'll say again - its not about your naval knowledge. The RN wants to see that you've read their website and any PR material they've sent you. However, they want you to be a well rounded, capable, fit, personable and intelligent individual capable of working under pressure and who demonstrates the potential for being moulded into a useful individual through BRNC and beyond.

Knowing that a T22C recently deployed with a widget modification which allows the tracker on the radar to use its frequency in a new modulation mode and thus sterilise passing ships crews will not endear you to the AIB.
  8. Roger that. Thanks for the help and advice. It was just that the guy who interviewed me said that I would need to know Task Forces and such for the AIB.
  9. That would be taking a long view in regards to defending our shores
    It reminds of The Children of Men book, except one ship at a time :D

Kagg, I assume you don't have a date yet?
    Only asking as I know your SIFT was around the same time as mine.
  10. No, I don't have a date yet, got the security forms and things now but no AIB date yet.
  11. When you send them off, chase up your references.
    My application has been delayed as one reference has moved and he didn't tell me and the other got it lost in the internal mail where he works.
    Once I found out they hadn't had them after 2 weeks, alarm bells and phone calls ensued.
    Unfortunately until the office has at least one, the application can't proceed.

12. OPSEC!!! For God's sake man, do you want everyone to know!!!? :wink:
  13. Cheers for the heads up, though I think my references are done if they only need the proformas they sent out with my interview letter?!!