Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Deployments/run ashores!

Best run ashore

• Total voters
Do the clearance divers get to travel around... I know they go over to the med, or far east to practise their war-time-role.. But after training, or are they more based in UK..

thanks,
Dean

With the demise of the Ships diver adqual, I would imagine the oppertunities for the 3 diving groups to get deployed foriegn will increase. Bear in mind tho, that much of the underwater engineering tasking(hull survey/blanking/poker guage readings) now gets done by civvy contractors. If a ship needs diving/UE support in the far flung, but they are in a reasonably well equipped port, then employing local civvy contractors may well be the cheapest option.

You can't beat the Far East, Singers, Honky Fid, Fiji, Japan (SUCH mem0ries there) - I think we also called Oz & Kiwi as part of thet area too

Figure mine was Manilla in 1975 - shame about the scramble to evacuate Brits from Phnomh Penh which totally screwed up my love life !

shiner said:
My vote goes to Singapore in the mid to late sixties. Start in the London Bar in Neesoon then 'fast black' to the Brit Club and end up in Bugis Street shouting for Abdul. Always plenty of Septics to take the mick out of during their R'n R from 'Nam.

Shiner

I totally agree, and on one of Neesoon's street corners must been one of the oldest "Virgins" alive. Don't forget an egg banjo at Sembawang on way back to ship.

Aaah the Brit Club - Anyone remember leaping off the balcony into the pool - never saw anyone being injured though - must have been the Tiger!
Egg Banjos - ate one half in the messdeck, the other as breakfast the following morning !!

I still fail to understand why 14% of votes go to Gib as the worlds best run ashore. Its a a very small dump with very cheap booze in the shops. A vast lack of females/males (what ever your taste) and little in the way of a decent bar for at least 30 years.

WHY O WHY!!!!!!!?

Nutty

:D Guam wuz fantastic, we grippo'd the CEEBEES on the way home from vietnam via a little stint on Diego Garcia (had a run ashore there too when we first met them building a runway for Girt big bombers.) helped them dismantel their barracks on Guam in a very traditional way..got arseholed and knocked it down by any means. Legalized vandalism :twisted:

Subic Bay. " Olongopo " just outside the US naval base. Midnight curfew, you couldn't do anything but trap, mind you only the oldies would remember a place like that.

Nutty said:
I still fail to understand why 14% of votes go to Gib as the worlds best run ashore. Its a a very small dump with very cheap booze in the shops. A vast lack of females/males (what ever your taste) and little in the way of a decent bar for at least 30 years.

WHY O WHY!!!!!!!?

Nutty

I agree with you, even back in the 60s it was not that good, though it was where I saw my first really erotic strip dance.

Perhaps some people have led pretty dull lives.

Peter

For location, Diego is idyllic. For women, Rio is unbeatable. For enjoyment, Singers. For families joining, Souda and Singers.

Worse place - Guam (although Patras comes a quick second).

Latest Threads