Deployments Locations

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Marshmallow, Mar 26, 2013.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi people,

Just a quick question: What is the likelihood of being deployed in 'interesting' places? Such as the Far East, Caribbean and Africa etc. Obviously I know that the Navy has near constant deployments in the Caribbean etc. but obviously everybody doesn't get the chance to travel to different places!

I only ask because one of my main motivations for joining is the travelling! Also, when I watched the initial video at my AFCO showing all the details there was an interview with a young officer who said he'd been to loads of different places: but can you expect to be constantly deployed to foreign places?

Any personal experiences would be interesting to hear!
  2. Blackrat

Blackrat War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

A mate of mine went to somewhere interesting.

Croydon. Full of weirdos apparantly.
  3. You can expect good travel prospects dependant on trade I've seen most of the UK lol a little of the good parts of the middle east and a shit load of the horrible sandy bits for months on end!
    Not been to the Caribbean yet but I'm only 8 years in lol

Posted from the Navy Net mobile app (Android / iOS)
  4. It used to be just luck. Some coms ratings could get interesting shore drafts. Not sure what its like nowadays.
    Myself I went everywhere. NSE and W in my 20. Even managed to sail all the way around one year. Now that was fun.
  5. Sounds awesome! What trade are you?
  6. *Forgot to add.... You hear of some stories where people have joined up for the travel and then been deployed on a home base for a lot of their career! Is this common?
  7. I got to travel to faslane and Coulport, lovely in the summer
  8. LIAR - about the 'lovely' and 'summer' bits.
  9. wal

wal Badgeman

A lot of the Pacific Islands, Half way round and back, once right the way round, the Keil, Suez, Welland, Corinth, Pannama, and the Manchester Ship canals.

In them there days we had a Navy and I was a Stoker who could not say no.
  10. Well you get a days sunshine once a year and when it warms up you get eaten alive by midges lol

Posted from the Navy Net mobile app (Android / iOS)
  11. Ok I lied, but it's a stupid bloody question
  12. I don't know people seem to be mis-sold this amazing worldly adventure that is the navy when more often than not these days you'll see more on your yearly holidays. Obviously this is slightly trade dependant as some people love back to back Falklands trips lol
  13. Interesting covers a lot doesn't it? Iraq, Londonderry, Afghanistan, Falkands 30 years ago, yes, interesting.
  14. It really is trade and a bit of luck as to where you go.
  15. Thanks for the replies! I'm going in a a warfare officer (surface) and I've got my SIFT Interview next week. As a warfare officer I am expecting to spend most of my career on a ship, because I know with trades like Logistics after 8 years (roughly) of being a lieutenant you usually get transferred to shore establishments. Not sure how true that is though!
  16. Lgistics - ASEC as a 2 ringer, then SO as a 2 and a half - in destroyers/ frigates, on a LPD, CVS you would be a seagoing commander, as well as staff jobs, Admirals doggie, etc.
  17. Yes. They sound good, erm, deployments.
    • Like Like x 1