Deployments in a draft

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by woggles, Jul 18, 2015.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Quite curious to learn about this one- from what I've read you can expect to spend at least 60% of your time deployed when in the RN- but is this including only being actually in theatre (i.e. on Kipion for example) or does it include when on OST, or doing training which means you are spending a week at sea (or however long) doing training for deployment?

Assuming a draft is two years long and you undertake a nine month deployment on say Kipion, most likely would you do another one before the end of your draft, or would this extra to take you up to 60% deployed time come from doing training etc?

Cheers

2. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

The 60/40 sea/alongside ratio is at best about as woolly as a fruit machine's alleged ratio of money in:money out.

Many factors affect the ratio of time spent at sea and it depends when you join a ship in its operational cycle. It's difficult to gauge precisely because you could be 'day running' around UK - returning to your baseport or other UK port each evening or every few days. When deployed overseas, you are seldom at sea, without a port visit for more than four weeks - although there can be exceptions.

I'd suggest if you budget for about 18 months total away from base port in an average 4 year cycle, you won't be too far wrong in your expectations. Again, there will always be variations such as when joining a ship going into refit or one that has just come out of refit, etc.

To illustrate the difficulty of accurately predicting your day to day itinerary, a Type 23 frigate was meant to be visiting the port local to my AFCO. We emailed 400 current applicants, inviting them to visit the ship for a tour. We then had to cancel, due to a program change. The next day, the trip was back on, so we emailed them again. Two days later...cancelled. Ten days later - back on. A day later...cancelled.

When the Navy is operating at full stretch, with arguably insufficient manpower to keep the ship's operational, you can be sure your life will be unpredictable & eventful.

3. Trainer

Trainer War Hero Book Reviewer

But within itself, a useful trainings serial for PRs. Those who could withstand a constant stream of 'on the bus, off the bus' type directions are obviously perfect for a military career.

• Like Like x 1