Deployments in a draft

Quite curious to learn about this one- from what I've read you can expect to spend at least 60% of your time deployed when in the RN- but is this including only being actually in theatre (i.e. on Kipion for example) or does it include when on OST, or doing training which means you are spending a week at sea (or however long) doing training for deployment?

Assuming a draft is two years long and you undertake a nine month deployment on say Kipion, most likely would you do another one before the end of your draft, or would this extra to take you up to 60% deployed time come from doing training etc?

Cheers

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
The 60/40 sea/alongside ratio is at best about as woolly as a fruit machine's alleged ratio of money in:money out.

Many factors affect the ratio of time spent at sea and it depends when you join a ship in its operational cycle. It's difficult to gauge precisely because you could be 'day running' around UK - returning to your baseport or other UK port each evening or every few days. When deployed overseas, you are seldom at sea, without a port visit for more than four weeks - although there can be exceptions.

I'd suggest if you budget for about 18 months total away from base port in an average 4 year cycle, you won't be too far wrong in your expectations. Again, there will always be variations such as when joining a ship going into refit or one that has just come out of refit, etc.

To illustrate the difficulty of accurately predicting your day to day itinerary, a Type 23 frigate was meant to be visiting the port local to my AFCO. We emailed 400 current applicants, inviting them to visit the ship for a tour. We then had to cancel, due to a program change. The next day, the trip was back on, so we emailed them again. Two days later...cancelled. Ten days later - back on. A day later...cancelled.

When the Navy is operating at full stretch, with arguably insufficient manpower to keep the ship's operational, you can be sure your life will be unpredictable & eventful.

Trainer

War Hero
Book Reviewer
The 60/40 sea/alongside ratio is at best about as woolly as a fruit machine's alleged ratio of money in:money out.

Many factors affect the ratio of time spent at sea and it depends when you join a ship in its operational cycle. It's difficult to gauge precisely because you could be 'day running' around UK - returning to your baseport or other UK port each evening or every few days. When deployed overseas, you are seldom at sea, without a port visit for more than four weeks - although there can be exceptions.

I'd suggest if you budget for about 18 months total away from base port in an average 4 year cycle, you won't be too far wrong in your expectations. Again, there will always be variations such as when joining a ship going into refit or one that has just come out of refit, etc.

To illustrate the difficulty of accurately predicting your day to day itinerary, a Type 23 frigate was meant to be visiting the port local to my AFCO. We emailed 400 current applicants, inviting them to visit the ship for a tour. We then had to cancel, due to a program change. The next day, the trip was back on, so we emailed them again. Two days later...cancelled. Ten days later - back on. A day later...cancelled.

When the Navy is operating at full stretch, with arguably insufficient manpower to keep the ship's operational, you can be sure your life will be unpredictable & eventful.
But within itself, a useful trainings serial for PRs. Those who could withstand a constant stream of 'on the bus, off the bus' type directions are obviously perfect for a military career.

Latest Threads