Deployment to effect full time application???

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by GSSR_Vvd, Nov 7, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Well, this may be the wrong place tp put this but i know there are a few people in the know on here who may have the answer.

I am a reservist and have expressed an interest to get deployed for 6 months. I have an aplication pending with the RN and am just waiting for my date. So far i'm expecting it to be Dec 08 as at the moment i'm joining up as an MA.

My question, as manpower is short in the RNR and this will be filling a gap which they cant fill any other way, would the RNR release me if i get my F/T date during my deployment? or wioll it be another case of wait wait wait again?

2. hmm, will Fleet release you to go and work for Fleet?

Considering how fragmented the organisation is then chances are you'd join Raleigh and immediately get trooped for going on the trot.

:D

Sorry, can't help specifically but surely it's not something novel.

3. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Current projected waiting time for Medical assistant, from start of application to joining is, I believe, now as much as 24 months (it was until recently only 10-12 months) - It's definitely worth giving your careers adviser a call to verify this as I was surprised when just checking now.

Assuming all still holds true with an envisaged joining date, you can ask your Careers Adviser to make you "unavailable" for the period of your deployment & you will then be allocated the next available joining date after your "unavailable dates", the mechanism for this is very straightforward & often used.

On the other hand it's doubtful the RNR would release you mid-point from a deployment, simply because of availability of a relief, cost in transport & possibly having to train a relief. You could ask the person actually deploying you to verify this, but it's doubtful whether it would be entertained. Stranger things have happened at sea, mind.

The criteria is all to do with prioritising OPS personnel in theatre over people about to enter training (not yet even TPS) for a completely different job

Good luck.

4. That is good advice N_S, i have spoken to my PSI in unit about this very fact and his blazaie response was that they would just get someone else to take up my position. Now with my summer deployment for 3 weeks i was asked at short notice and told them that i could only do a max of 3 weeks due to work commitments. When i was over there my relief was only confirmed in the last few days of my deployment.

I am aware that i could say yeah let me do it as the wait is so long. As you know i have been waiting nearly a year already and still have the next 12months to wait. Now my careers advisor has said that Dec 08 is the max wait and it may come through earlier. It is one of those decisions , do i say yes let me do it and gain the experience which will be valuable to my future in the RN or pass up on the chance for the security of knowing if i do get a drop out date i'm ready and willing?

5. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Possibly it is a point of fact but, I'd be inclined to be sceptical of anyone that states they will "just get someone else", unless "someone else's" name is actually in the frame & they can confirm you can be released.

To be honest, unless you are operationaly deploying in a Medical role, whilst the experience may be valuable to yourself, it is not actually necessary experience for your future. That said, if you want to do it, then I'd suggest you may as well as there is no saying either whether an early vacancy may arise.

If there is the offer of an early place & you cannot take it up, it will not go against you, it will simply be offered to the next on the list. In reality, only you can decide if you want to deploy, but if you do, you'll still hopefully have a start date when you return