Deployment to Afghanistan?

Discussion in 'The Quarterdeck' started by gentlesoul, Dec 18, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Can anyone tell me the different types of jobs that someone might be asked to do?

I'm sure "bag carrying" isn't an official one and I don't want to ask him a hundred and one questions, he'll think I'm flapping. He's a submariner if that helps to answer the question.

2. Well i'm confused. What trade is he?

3. Engineer

4. Depends on rank, but ''bag carrying'' is the kind of description I'd use for senior officers outer office staff, media handling etc. In which case there will be some accompanying of the grown up involved.

5. Where's he going, Kandahar, Bastion?

6. Don't know where, too early. He's filling out forms today and I guess we'll find out in the next couple of months.

I know he's not going to be sent out to FOPs with the Booties (obviously) but perhaps selfishly I would like to think that he's kept somewhere making tea. However, I'm not that naive and I know him. Given half a chance, he would volunteer to go forward if it didn't endanger those around him given the fact that they are trained for it and he's not. Hopefully half a chance won't arise.

When I've got more information, I'll come back, too soon to be asking questions I guess.

7. They have RN engineers (Stokers) fixing vechicles and stuff at Kandahar.

8. Any chance of going out there as a CIS?

9. wave_dodger

wave_dodger War Hero Book Reviewer

Minimal chance in trade. 90SU provide KAF comms and CIS, SF have their own det and outside KAF Comms are usually provided by 11 or 1 Sig Bde Groups.

If you are a reservist there is a slim chance you could request to fill a gap in one of those units. Small chance though.

10. That's a shame.

11. Has he done any OPTAG training???? sounds very scetchy to me! If he is a Stoker he will more than likely go to Kandahar or Bastion to assist the VM's. Saying that he should have a good idea what he is doing and where he is going by now.

If he has not done any sort of "green training" it is highly unlikely that he would venture outside of the bases.

12. If he is a WE he may be going as part of the maintenance team for the Close in Weapons systems, (shore based version of Phalanx Gun used to take out out incoming missiles etc.).

13. True, true!

14. Short answer to B2B - Yes. Trust me, I know. Certainly as IS, the C seems to be covered by 22Sigs.

15. wave_dodger

What? 22SR are a TA Regt issued with Ptarmigan! They aren't in Theatre, some individuals may be, but that Regt certainly isn't.

The IS is provided by TG4 from 90SU and IS/CISE from RSigs - there are no billets in the FET for RN CIS ratings or Officers.

16. OPSEC prevents details but I suggest that you phone the rear party of 22 Sigs in Stafford and tell them that they are a TA Regt and that several hundred of them are not in Afghanistan. I work with them every day so unless somebody lied to me about where I am, they are definitely here as the theatre CIS.

17. wave_dodger

Hmm my mistake. 22SR reformed (07) taking elements from 21(AS) a Gurkha Sig Sqn if I recall and elements from another SR.

Forgot about these guys. Still they are a Ptarmigan Regt. No use for that in theatre - I assume 21AS are still out there. Their Ops is a mate of mine who I speak to regularly, hence I thought they were the predominate SR.

I'm amazed they are Th CIS as they (21AS) didn't have a lot of IS Engr's when I worked with them in Iraq in 07 and can't see 21 or 22 having had an increase.

Wonder if Boggy Marsh is still with 21AS?

Anyway - "several hundred of them", really? Even if they are covering JFCIS/JtNETCEN and the outer units they will only have 1 or 2 Squadrons each out there, unless they're being jiffed for FP.

Hope yr having a nice time!

18. Karma was spot on but I suspect it's all going to change again since the Disappointer is making an appearance in the next couple of weeks and wishes to see Mr GS.

I think I'm just going to sit back, wait, once he's gone and been gone for a week and I'm sure he's not coming back for a couple months before I post again asking questions; that way I won't waste anyone else's time.

19. Chances are he's going out as a phalanx maintainer, think someone mentioned it in an earlier post. I know the mob were looking for a load of people to go out there and do general maintenance. Basically he'll be in a camp and not on the front line so I shouldn't worry too much.

20. There are loads of matelots in HERRICK at the mo doing various jobs, some trade-specific and some not. He needs to have a chat with whoever is sending him out there to see what he's actually doing.