Deployment Allowances and Pay Increments

New to the forum and I haven't been able to find this information so far, hopefully you can assist.
1- Do RFA staff when on deployment (outside of UK waters) receive an operational allowance, similar to that of HM Armed Forces?
2- Upon completing BRNC (officers) do you receive a pay increase? (at the moment the LSO role states a £25k PA starting pay, does this increase upon completion of the 'phase one' training?)
Any details would be gratefully received
Yorks2018

Random

Lantern Swinger
No we do not paid extra to go to sea, our job is at sea, our regular pay is compensation for that.

Pay rises come as yearly uplift (mainly 1%) or from meeting fully the criteria of your career frameworkfor the next pay band.

Dartmouth is just a short intro course to the RN for us; to gain your next pay band as LS you will have to pass your trade courses and gain some sea experience.

No we do not paid extra to go to sea, our job is at sea, our regular pay is compensation for that.

Pay rises come as yearly uplift (mainly 1%) or from meeting fully the criteria of your career frameworkfor the next pay band.

Dartmouth is just a short intro course to the RN for us; to gain your next pay band as LS you will have to pass your trade courses and gain some sea experience.
Thanks for the response, its really appreciated! Hopefully the 1% cap will be lifted at some point.. however I cannot see it being anytime soon. Just been looking at the pay scales and increments that somebody posted on another thread, it says that 'Point C for Third Officer (LS)' is paid £33,777. That document was for 2017 pay. I just wanted to know if the £25k PA was a start to jump onto that £33k PA figure. However it appears not, thanks for the help Random

Random

Lantern Swinger
Doesn't work that way in my branch (I am a Systems Engineer). However I would be surprised if the LS branch gave you a pay rise for completing BRNC.

If you want factual truth email recruitment for the payscales and the LS officer career framework.

Were the various station allowances consolidated or eliminated a few years back? We used to get a little extra for being East of Suez or NAWI (ISTR Far East was over £100/m depending on rank). There was even a Home Fleet Allowance of something like £2.50/m to compensate for not getting duty free if you were stuck around the UK.

Random

Lantern Swinger
Were the various station allowances consolidated or eliminated a few years back?
I think all those allowances were consolidated into core pay when we moved from yearly increments to the current banding system. From memory all those extras had a time on station requirement, so if you were on a ship moving from place to place you would often not qualify (certainly I hardly seemed to get them).

Thanks for the help so far! Ive been looking at the wording of the LSO job role on the RFA recruitment pages, it states that upon completion of training you will be offered a post as a 'Third Officer Practitioner' maybe this role which can only be taken on after training is when you gain the pay as stated on the RFA 2017 onward pay scales. Its a shame the pay has been cut as it has and I wonder if it has had any bearing on retention/recruitment

I think all those allowances were consolidated into core pay when we moved from yearly increments to the current banding system. From memory all those extras had a time on station requirement, so if you were on a ship moving from place to place you would often not qualify (certainly I hardly seemed to get them).
I've found an old "Update Bulletin" from 2015 describing how lots of allowances would be stopped and £425 added to everyone's pay. The location based allowances are amongst those that were stopped. Far East (i.e. East of Suez), Mediterranean, American and Home Fleet (15p per day!).

As far as I can remember the location based allowances were paid as soon as you arrived in the qualifying area and for the duration of your stay. I certainly got Far East allowance every time I was in the Gulf. South Atlantic Repetition of Tour Allowance (SARTA) had rather more involved criteria to qualify and since it was worth quite a bit ship's programmes were arranged to make sure the crew just missed out on qualifying.