Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Dental

Hey just wondering here but I hear you have to have a dental check first week in basic.
Now my teeth aint bad but not great and will probs need a few more fillings, no Im due to start basic soon and was wondering if when they do my dental check they say i need fillings will they do that in basic or will I have to get that done later on.

so they'll just gimmie the treatment when I get in?
I was gonna go to my dentist next week but if the navy will do it in basic i'll just wait untill then.

Yeah, you'll have the lot done at crown expense and a damn sight quicker than you would outside. If it's nothing that needs seeing to right away, just hold off for a bit.

I remember going for interview at Cranwell for a sixth form scholarship, they gave me a filling then! The Military dental service is amazing (well, in comparison to any state dental service in the UK).

Kool, well I think I'll wait it out then. I think im probs gonna need 2 fillings and I have a slightly chipped tooth from opening beer bottles with my teeth lol, wont be doing that agin.

My dentist aint that great so if the Navy dental care is amazing then im gonna wait till I get to raleigh

Be aware that the military dentists will NOT carry out cosmetic work such as chipped teeth, crowns etc, or at least they never used to.

Fillings, extractions and falsies only I am afraid.

brigham600 said:
Be aware that the military dentists will NOT carry out cosmetic work such as chipped teeth, crowns etc, or at least they never used to.

And they really like the extractions, means they will never have to work on that tooth again

Speaking of Dental....
I'm planning on joining the senior service myself as a Dental Officer.
Just wondering, would I go to BRNC before or after my time at university?
I know it may seem obvious, but i'm a bit of a novice in this respect.

As an apprentice Fang Farrier, providing you gain a high enough AIB pass, you may be sponsored (@£14K + £1K tuition fees paid per year) through the last 3 years of Medical School, then join the service adfter graduating. You will undergo 7 weeks at BRNC followed by 12 months vocational training.

The alternative is to become a qualified Tooth Shipwright first, then attempt AIB, join afterwards. You will undergo 7 weeks at BRNC followed by 12 months vocational training, but your post registration income is obviously significantly higher than that whilst in med school.

brigham600 said:

This hits on my question perfectly.

I had some cosmetic work done on my two front chipped teeth (tooth-coloured filling material bonded to the teeth) whilst I was a Pongo around 93-94ish, dunno how far you go back brigham600.

These "caps" have since chipped again. Would the RN work on them?

Latest Threads