Dental Cover for Spouses

Discussion in 'Nearest & Dearest' started by Dits, Nov 29, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Evening all...
    My wife and I have recently moved to Fareham, she went to look for a dentist and was told to register and recieve a check up would be 86 pounds.
    My question is, can i take her to Collingwood Dental Dept. and do the same thing courtesy of pusser...

Any replies welcome

Cheers
    Dits

2. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Hiya Dits Welcome to Rum Ration.

She is entitled to free dental treatment with a Naval Dentist...if she joins the Navy, otherwise not.

The RN Dentist may have a private practice, but he/she will charge private rates.

3. Makes sense, worth an ask though, save us a few quid this close to payday :D

4. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Bloody freeloaders... the RN is skint as it is, without crap like this! :roll:

5. Quite probably, but you wait until YOU try to register with a dentist when you eventually leave the mob SGP. Its a flaming nightmare and very, very expensive.

You will soon realise just how much you take it for granted when you visit the pussers dentist. ;-)

6. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

I have just run into a new twist in NHS dentistry. Went for checkup & saw a notice the dentist had put up explaining that he had run out of NHS 'Treatment Units' for the year but (VV decent of him, not all would do this perhaps) would go on honouring his NHS patients' appts and would be treating his NHS patients at NHS rates, which must mean he is only getting the patient's fee, not the NHS top-up, presumably until a new NHS financial year starts. I hadn't realised that an NHS dentist can lumber himself with more NHS patients than he can get the NHS to pay for. I would hardly blame him if he put a House Full sign up against new NHS patients. This must make yet another problem for Service families who have to move around the country.

7. sgtpepperband

I don't doubt that - but RN Doctors/Dentists for RN personnel. I never take it for granted, but what hacks me off is partners 'expecting' handouts from a cash-strapped Service. I don't sponge off my wife's company and I wouldn't expect her to from mine.

And in fact I am already registered with my local GP in anticpation of when I do leave the RN.

8. Don't get me wrong SGB, I am not in the least saying they should be allowed and agree with your point of view. Just attempting to say how flaming expensive private dentists are mate.

9. sgtpepperband

Concur too; I blush when Mrs. SPB tells me how muh she paid for a check up and a clean! I've had a few thousand pounds' worth of dental work in my time, and intend to make the most of it while I can. :thumbright: