Delivery into Portsmouth Base

Discussion in 'Bases / Shore Est' started by mcyates, Aug 17, 2010.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I'm just wondering are DHL and other courier companies allowed in Portsmouth Dockyard! I need to get a parcel delivered to the ship and i'm wondering if they are allowed in?

2. yes. also Amazon will deliver to BFPO numbers too.
  3. Hi,

Thanks for your reply, but I don't want to use the BFPO Address.

I just want do use something like:

HMNB Portsmouth
    LET(ME) ME
    post code

But dunno if it would work!
  4. Have you rang them and asked if they deliver within the dockyard?

Just curious.
  5. Most courier companies WILL deliver in HMNB and they just stop off at the maingate to get a pass and directions. No problemo!
  6. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Too much information!! You are using a combination of a military (i.e. BFPO) address and a civilian Royal Mail one (i.e. HMNB/Post Code). Use one or t'other, not both - I'm sure there will be a Mail Noticeboard on board somewhere, which will tell you the correct address to use... :oops:

Depending on the courier, they will deliver directly to the ship (if they are permitted access); will deliver to BFPO as a Recorded Delivery item (where you will sign for it from the Ship's Office on board) or to the Dockyard Mail Office (who will retain the item and notify you to collect and sign accordingly).

If you use your BFPO address, the item will be sent to RAF Northolt for despatch via the internal mail distribution system; if you use the civilian "HMNB" address, it will be delivered to the local Mail Office (probably HMS Nelson, next to the Gym).

If the courier is not permitted access to HMNB, they - or MGS - may inform you when they are at the Main Gate, but they will not hang around as they have a tight delivery schedule. They may allow MGS to retain the item on your behalf, but it is likely that the courier will return the item to the depot for you to make alternative arrangements.

Either way, I would advise that you contact the courier directly and explain the situation to them.

Good luck... :thumbleft:
  7. If you get them to deliver it dressed like this:

. . .they can probably go where the hell they like.