Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Deleting of Posts!

Status
Not open for further replies.
F169 said:
PartTimePongo said:
I'd like topics of a sufficient gravitas.........
Current Affairs on RR is not "Just another CA board on the Internet". The intention is to have it become THE Naval related CA forum on the Internet....Arrse Current Affairs is now read by No.10 , Members of the Lords and MP's, Senior Military Chiefs and frequently quoted in the Media.Some of the contributors we've picked up, are household names in the Forces, or experten in their fields.
To get the forum, up, running and respected, which keeps the less open minded gold braiders off our backs, we need to be seen to be being adult, AND contributing items of worth, that have the Mahogany warship sailors thinking "This is an asset"
........ a forum of note, and it is going to make people proud to be associated with it, as posters are on Arrse CA.

More quality = less moderation , and the chance that the points you are making, will be picked up and acted on by the grown ups.

There are many Naval forums on the interweb, there is only ONE Rum Ration CA forum which can and will become the First and Best point of reference for matters concerning the mood on the messdecks and in the wardrooms.
PTP

Bugger Me! and I thought this was the "very unofficial website of the RN" for "Rumour gossip intrigue and bullshit" how wrong I was..............

Ah, but PTP makes a good point. I have referred colleagues to interesting and informative items on this site. The CA forum will lose its credibility and any gravitas it acquires through inappropriate or ill considered postings. It is useful to have fora on RR that are serious and over time develop gravitas, leaving our other favourite fora for the general very free and very open discussion many of us have grown to cherish, such as DLs. I concur with the point made earlier that perhaps a Tabloid News section with a moderation policy akin to DLs would be well worth considering for all those chatty items that wind us liberals up! :wink: I nominate Slim as our Tabloid Editor with Andy as our new Medical Forum/Agony Nursey Editor! :lol:

I rarely post in the Current affairs section. My main posts are either in The Quarterdeck or Diamond Lills. As Steve says I am more of a tabloid poster. However I do believe that if and when a post is deleted the deleter should be responsible enough to inform the poster of why the post has been deleted. There have been occasions when posts seem to vanish for no reason.
As for posts being moved from CA to other titles, I have no problems with this.

No, its fair enough if posts get moved or deleted, but a "this has been moved to..... because" or "this has been deleted because....." would be helpful, what would be even better is "this will be deleted if you dont......" or "please be advised lads this is straying from the forum topic because......" it's a communication issue, if some of the older hands knew the pit falls they would warn us newbies off, thus reducing the moderaters work surely?

slim said:
I rarely post in the Current affairs section. My main posts are either in The Quarterdeck or Diamond Lills. As Steve says I am more of a tabloid poster. However I do believe that if and when a post is deleted the deleter should be responsible enough to inform the poster of why the post has been deleted. There have been occasions when posts seem to vanish for no reason.
As for posts being moved from CA to other titles, I have no problems with this.

Sorry, I forgot to add the bit about basic courtesy. :oops:

The Black Hole of Calcutta?

Andym's post that is causing so much wailing and gnashing of teeth was the tipping point in a thread that was the cause of poster requested deletions due to things getting out of hand 'ashore' as a result of some posts.

Finknottle had a post deleted for (no doubt unintentional) voyeuristic impatience to see film of the death of a British soldier. (We now know the film was HUD only and so not graphic and gratifying to sickos and our enemies. ) Thereafter the thread was getting clogged with finknottle's posts asking why the post was deleted. Finknottle had PM'd to say he understood why the post was deleted but has subsequently said he was referring to another post. I only deleted one (the one I refer to). I'm not the only one with a delete button.

Andym made, as I saw it and see it, a snide reference to moderation policy regarding links to stories. I note the denial elsewhere. It may have been subtle but it is an 'in' joke among some. It wasn't offensive of itself but it was the tipping point in a thread that had been trouble and was degenerating further. The thread was locked temporarily.

A serious thread can only absorb so much diversion. Reasons in writing for deletions are not mandatory. Policy and the aims for Current Affairs have been explained by both moderators. Funny (in the eye of the beholder) can be good for a serious thread but it's preferred if there is something serious included.

Ladies and Gents. I think between this topic and its counterpart, everyone with an opinion has had their chance. I'm now locking these topics to stop this going round in circles. Any problems with this, please pm me...

Ghostie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Threads