Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Deleting of Posts!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am not rocking the boat for no reason.All i want is a reasoned reply as to WHY my posts were deleted.So far i havent had one!Its that simple.Just quoting forum regs isnt a reply!

greenking said:
I believe pprune operate a very successful policy of Mods informing members in the open on the threads (or even creating new ones) to advise them why things have been locked or even deleted.
GK

GK that is actually very funny, as I am sure you are aware. The last time the site owner and Moderator on PPRUNE lost his rag didn't he just explode, delete all the threads he wasn't happy with and tell everyone to p*ss off becase it was his site?

I haven't laughed so much in ages because the guy was very blunt and honest, but certainly not tactfull. E-Goat and ARRSE gained about 100 members that day! I don't think PPRUNE is a good example of moderation policy :lol:

I consider myself rumbled chief! Just trying to offer a practical solution to the mess and encourage people to be civilised to each other. As you know pprune is full of young whippersnappers who have difficulty behaving themselves and I don't want RR to end up going the same way.

GK

greenking said:
I consider myself rumbled chief! Just trying to offer a practical solution to the mess and encourage people to be civilised to each other. As you know pprune is full of young whippersnappers who have difficulty behaving themselves and I don't want RR to end up going the same way.

GK

I completely agree GK, I actually think this is by far the better forum, better than PPRUNE, E-Goat and dare I say it ARRSE. We manage to have some very high brow discussion interrupted by humour (as is the Naval way) and plenty of space for us all to get down to our lowest gutter humour (sometimes the best bits) The problem is it is all too easy to get very emotionally inolved in an argument and the internet isn't very good at displaying emotion. It is very easy to assume a certain post is published with an inferred meaning when that is not necessarily so, that's why emoticons were invented, they will never replace the tone of a human voice or the smirk on a face. We are all guilty of it!!!1

I just think it's sometimes necessary to walk away, count to ten then come back and post ones' opinion. We all seem to be friends again now a day after the event. Seadog does a good job moderating the most emotive forum on this site, one perceived mistake and everyones jumping down his throat telling him how to do his job. Not on in my opinion. :evil:

Deeps said:
Good post Chief tiff ,now get the wets in you cock.

See what I mean? I know that was said with a smile and a wink :lol:

Deeps I don't have my wallet on me! If you get them in I'll pay you back later................................................some time.

chieftiff said:
one perceived mistake and everyones jumping down his throat telling him how to do his job. Not on in my opinion. :evil:

I think you may find that its not an isolated incident!And im not referring to myself!I'm not telling him how to do his job at all(though a tad of instruction mightnt go amiss :grin: )I just want a reson why they were deleted not just having the forum rules thrust at me.

Ok, I'm in.

I'll start by asking a simple question.

What do you expect , from Current Affairs on Rum Ration? Leave out the style of moderating for a second.

From Current Affairs i expect to see a discussion on topics in the public eye, notwithstanding opsec and persec, these topics are available openly on the News, in the Press and on the web, I dont expect to see the topic pulled by the say of a mod who decides its not for discussion when the information is out there which is what has happened a few times, it is the viewpoint of different posters that make it interesting, anything that thwarts free speech is censorship, after all it is a web site on the internet, an unofficial website at that.

To answer PTP in one word: Freedom.

I think this should apply to all forums although I have only noticed a heavy handed approach by a Mod in one forum.

Other than the only 'rule' (very understandable for the owners) about legal cases going through the system I think the remainder of Seadog's moderators comments described as 'Standing Orders' are unnecessary.

This is the internet not a pack circulating through the ship's office or a welfare committee meeting. The members' entries should be allowed to go off at a tangent - there is always someone else who will bring a subject back onto topic (if there is still a need/the original topic hasnt been exhausted).

I can understand if the originator of a thread is asked by a MOD if he minds something being moved to a more appropriate forum but other than that it really should be hands off because otherwise it just p*sses people off.

Night all.

higthepig wrote
a few times, it is the viewpoint of different posters that make it interesting, anything that thwarts free speech is censorship, after all it is a web site on the internet, an unofficial website at that.

So anything goes on the internet does it? No-one can attract unwanted attention for what they post/host on the internet? Where have you been? I've had a contentious post deleted by the one of the COs after a complaint from someone mentioned in the press. I'm not sure what I got wrong, the press probably did too. Either way, I was a mod at the time of deletion, no drama, took it on the chin, lesson learned.

RR is the COs' train set. So long as they let the moderators hold the controls, they must approve of what we are doing, censorship and all.

Seadog,

As I said, probably badly, in my earlier post, I don't think most people are too concerned with the fact the site is moderated and you are one of the people entrusted to do it.

What I believe is rankling them is the manner in which you have been doing it - a tad over assertive and in some cases, I have to say, downright rude. I believe it may pay you and them if a more approachable stance were adopted in your style of moderation and, dare I say it, consideration be given to openly explaining why you moderate certain things so posters can, as you say, learn and move on.

PMs are not the way it appears to me looking at this thread and others. I hope these comments help rather than hinder and I look forward to more debate.

Regards

GK

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Threads