Defiance Building

The bell has excellent provenance and is definitely the bell from the Defiance at the Battle of Copenhagen. I obtained a copy of the print of the line of battle which includes Defiance in it as well (the old one was faded and well beyond its sell by date). Your thoughts on the cannon though are probably more in keeping with reality in that the monogram resembles that of George lll, the carriage is obviously something more recent but in keeping with the period. The gun and carriage have recently been restored and we are expecting a visit from the heritage people this week, possibly next. I like the idea that it's either a. an eroneous generic gun from the time or b. something to do with the visit of the King and his family in 1789, which is quite well documented. At present I have no photos of the gun due to photo restrictions in the yard...but I might be able to find one later...

Remember, navy lark with the flag pole, outside Defiance bld, smelly corner for oggy and a pint, also the floating canteen if I remember correctly

Can't help with the cannon, other than it was there.

The gun barrel outside Defiance closely resembles that in the phots above although they are heavily painted in finest shiny MOD black paint. A curator from the heritage centre should be visiting today so they might be able to glean some info and come up with suggestions. I have put forward Soleil's suggestion that there may be a connection the visit of 1789. I have found a couple of photos of the gun but am reluctant to put them here just yet as I am unable to remove the metadata.

The gun barrel outside Defiance closely resembles that in the phots above although they are heavily painted in finest shiny MOD black paint. A curator from the heritage centre should be visiting today so they might be able to glean some info and come up with suggestions. I have put forward Soleil's suggestion that there may be a connection the visit of 1789. I have found a couple of photos of the gun but am reluctant to put them here just yet as I am unable to remove the metadata.
Screen crab photo and cut and paste into paint, edit to gun only, then copy to word and save as a Picture or word? long winded but works at binning hidden data?

Bizarre suggestion maybe but if the cipher is covered in paint, have you tried a brass rubbing type exercise. Some paper on the barrel rubbed over with charcoal sometimes reveals more than can be seen.

I'm going to be at the British Library again soon, Polto and will look on the catalogue for anything which might be relevant, maybe a much earlier book about Devonport, a historical guide, for instance. If you should hear of any books/documents/maps which might help, let me know and I will use my reader registration to have them brought up to me.

http://explore.bl.uk/primo_library/libweb/action/search.do?vid=BLVU1

This looks interesting:

http://explore.bl.uk/primo_library/...e&vl(freeText0)=devonport&dstmp=1519200317512

Hi Soleil - the curator said that "So far I can tell you the cannon was a 32 pounder and made by Samuel Walker and Company of Rotherham". He went on to say "Looks like during George iii reign, but it’s difficult to decipher with all the paint". He's going to pop in again after some phone calls. So it seems to be the real deal, which is good news, more than likely the right period. I can only imagine that it would be difficult probably mpossible to trace where the cannon has been, unless reference can be found to that item somewhere.

Polto, what is the furthest back anyone can remember the cannon being there?
All depends on where it came from, if it had been in Drake, Dockyard or Plymouth area and just acquired, Capt buffer/Spare Coxn get Cannon from X and put outside new defiance building? In that case there would be no paper trail?

Old navy used to do things of the books, may still happen but not as much.

Gosh...it's one of those things that you just walk by without realising it's even there. The building was opened in 1978 by James Callaghan, the then Prime Minister. The brick plinth on which the cannon sits appears commensurate with the rest of the building so I would happily conclude that the cannon was placed intentionally with the building as part of the whole arrangement, rather than as something that was found later and considered to 'look good out the front'. Perhaps the might be some photos of the opening ceremony of the building...