Deferring University Entry Waiting for Officer Application?

CiviPilot

Good Evening All.

I am in a bit of a dilemma, Prior to Covid-19 my application was going at a reasonable pace and was a decent way through, Only had AIB and FATs (Retake) + Air medical to really go. Then Covid-19 happened and my application has been understandably on hold. This means I am now in the position that I will be unlikely ready for January or possibly even May Dartmouth intakes next year. as I would have to redo Fitness, Medical, etc as they will now have had their time expire.

I wouldn't really like to go to Uni for only a year as it seems like an enormous waste of money for something I would receive no credit for. The only argument would be the possible maturity benefit of moving away to Uni (Help with AIB) My plan was to defer my university entry to next September at such time I would know whether my application had been successful and whether I will need to reapply after University.

Hopefully, People here will have a view, Hopefully, some good advice :)

Fuzzy_75

Im in the same boat, just got my AIB and medical left. Ive asked CNR if my virtual AIB could be bought forward but if not it looks like I'm going to uni whilst deferring my application.

fishhead

War Hero
I'm no expert in these matters but I think I would look for a job(any job) just to give myself the benefit of having been in that kind of environment. The job might be humdrum or it might have unexpected benefits which could be drawn on when you finally get the call from the RN. The other benefit(of course) is money in your pocket while being at Uni the money will be going the other way.
Good luck to you both in the future whatever you decide to do.

crash_evans

War Hero
I'm no expert in these matters but I think I would look for a job(any job) just to give myself the benefit of having been in that kind of environment. The job might be humdrum or it might have unexpected benefits which could be drawn on when you finally get the call from the RN. The other benefit(of course) is money in your pocket while being at Uni the money will be going the other way.
Good luck to you both in the future whatever you decide to do.
Concur above.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Zoidberg

War Hero
Personally, I would go to uni.

You could leave with a HNC or whatever they're calling it these days and top it up at a later date.

You're not guaranteed a place in the RN so it's best to assume that you haven't got one.

Your sections are the only parts that even count, honestly. It isn't like you've passed and everything is a tick in the box. Plan for the worst outcome, hope for the best one.

soleil

War Hero
Good Evening All.

I am in a bit of a dilemma, Prior to Covid-19 my application was going at a reasonable pace and was a decent way through, Only had AIB and FATs (Retake) + Air medical to really go. Then Covid-19 happened and my application has been understandably on hold. This means I am now in the position that I will be unlikely ready for January or possibly even May Dartmouth intakes next year. as I would have to redo Fitness, Medical, etc as they will now have had their time expire.

I wouldn't really like to go to Uni for only a year as it seems like an enormous waste of money for something I would receive no credit for. The only argument would be the possible maturity benefit of moving away to Uni (Help with AIB) My plan was to defer my university entry to next September at such time I would know whether my application had been successful and whether I will need to reapply after University.

Hopefully, People here will have a view, Hopefully, some good advice :)
CiviPilot

Could you ask your CA/ACLO whether you would be able to apply for the Standard Degree Bursary and Guaranteed Place scheme?

If you chose to go to a University with a University Royal Naval Unit, that would work well.

Last edited:
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
T Deferring Entry RFA 3
M Deferring my entry? RFA 2
W Deferring entry date Joining the Royal Navy 9
AndyStano Deferring entry? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
K Deferring entry for ratings Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 8
MoD_RSS Extra university places for vital courses announced MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Major Birmingham University station upgrade will boost economy and improve journeys for passengers MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Michael Walker, Referee Analyst, honoured by Queen's University MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Recovered appeal: Oxford Brookes University, Wheatley Campus, College Close, Wheatley, Oxford (ref: 3230827 - 23 April 2020) MoD News 0
MoD_RSS SLC Executive Director of Operations visits Durham University MoD News 0
MoD_RSS SLC Executive Director of People visits Brighton University MoD News 0
MoD_RSS DASA Engagement Day at Cranfield University MoD News 0
slim Anyone should be allowed to 'identify' as black regardless of the colour of their skin or background, say university leaders Current Affairs 16
MoD_RSS Education Secretary backs review of university admissions MoD News 0
MoD_RSS University of Liverpool changes student debt penalty policy MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Collaborating with Queen’s University to improve coffee authenticity MoD News 0
MoD_RSS University boosts earnings by around 20% across the country MoD News 0
MoD_RSS University? Traineeship? First Job? What’s your post-exam plan? MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: University sector rises to challenge from Education Secretary MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Loughborough University leads a UK aid programme to tackle climate change MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Dstl Unveils First ‘Searchlight’ Event at Cranfield University MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Government pledge to ‘beat the cheats’ at university MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: CoRWM and Radioactive Waste Management meeting with Waseda University MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: New university-business partnerships to boost jobs and local economies MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Review of UK university rating system launched MoD News 0
C Applying while at university Joining the Royal Navy 4
MoD_RSS News story: Oxford University: Surveillance Camera Code Compliant MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Solicitor General to be given first Durham University Achievement Award MoD News 0
L university whilst in service Joining the Royal Navy 7
Mr_Gillette Some questions on MAs, Open University, and the Silent Service Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 12
MoD_RSS News story: Headley Court partners with Loughborough University for research study MoD News 0
D UGAS or University? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 17
F University or the Navy? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 34
slim University or Apprenticeships? Current Affairs 9
P Can RNR access the Forces University Short Courses system? Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 7
D Finish university in June. When is the best time to start my application? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 27
C RMR while at University RMR 10
S Edinburgh University ends funding for US drone component maker Current Affairs 6
Tomahawk Best time for an AIB whilst at University Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 10
G Royal Marine University Bursary Applicant Training Diary Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 12
M Which University? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 7
B University, RMR and varying work hours RMR 5
U Questions about joining up and university education. Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 17
Olly013 AIB fail due to university? - Some advice please Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
Z University undergrad confused with admissions process Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
B Open University / Distance learning whilst deployed at sea? Submariners 14
soleil Pompey News: "Royal Navy Uses Portsmouth University Students’ Expertise" Bases / Shore Est 1
D Portsmouth University MSc and the WO2 Site Issues 2
admiralscruff A couple of questions regarding university sponsorship and suchlike Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 29
soleil Gib. Chronicle: "University Naval Units Visit The Rock" SCC and URNU 16