Defence Spending Review affecting start times?

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by eallan, Nov 3, 2010.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hey,

Has anybody experienced or heard anything about Officer candidates being told that they can't expect a start date at BRNC for quite a while due to the cutbacks being made as a result of the Defence Spending Review? A friend of a friend (bear with me...) has apparently been told that he shouldn't expect a date for at least 24 months despite the fact that he has passed AIB to go in as a Logistics Officer (SM) about 3/4 months ago. Allegedly he was also told that this was a direct result of the DSR...

Hopefully someone can shed some light as I have my SIFT in mid-November and don't want to hear that I've got at least two years to wait. I'm going as a Warfare Officer (SM) though so maybe different departments would be affected differently...
  2. I'm waiting for my AIB date still, so take what I say with a pinch of salt, but I would suggest passing your SIFT on the 19th of this month and then find out from your recruitment officer what might be happening regarding intakes.

I know it's easy to get carried away, god knows I have, but best to take one thing at a time.